6 Simple Food Swaps for a Healthier Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

We all start the term with new and unrealistic revolutions; promising ourselves we will make it to the gym every day, cut out carbs, start drinking protein shakes and avoid sweets and treats. Unfortunately, this motivation is usually very short lived. We are constantly setting ourselves unrealistic and far-fetched goals in order to improve our health and lose weight. But perhaps it’s time we step away from this ‘all or nothing’ approach and instead start substituting certain foods for healthier alternatives. Let’s face it, going cold turkey on our diet and depriving ourselves of anything sweet never works out well. A more practical and effective method would be to make sensible swaps that don’t leave us feeling deprived and craving the biscuit tin.

Processed meat for fresh meat:

This isn’t the 1960’s! The days of consuming processed and tinned meats are rapidly becoming a thing of the past and rightfully so! While your parents may have grown up in the hay day of processed meats, you are lucky to be born in an era where fresh foods are widely available. Supermarket fridges are filled with a wide variety of fresh meats (and fishes) thanks to investments in clean eating and a general shift towards consuming better quality foods.  Fresh meat has not been through a process of modification in order to extend shelf life or alter the taste. Incorporating fresh meat into your diet is far more beneficial for your health as it is not only a good source of protein, but also provides us with key minerals and vitamins. On the other hand, eating high amounts of processed meat can increase the risk of chronic disease including high blood pressure, heart disease and bowl and stomach cancer.

Diet drinks for water:

A classic misconception we are all guilty of believing is that diet sodas are much heathier than regular fizzy drinks. In recent years it has come to light that diet drinks may be more harmful to us than their full fat counterparts. Numerous studies have demonstrated that diet drinks stimulate our appetite, making us consume more calories than we would have done if we had drunk a regular soft drink. The best thing to stick to is water; its free, accessible and hydrating.

Milk/white chocolate for dark chocolate:

Right, hear me out! I think it’s safe to say chocolate has a special place in our hearts, so I’ll try to approach this topic as sensitively as I can. If you’re a student, chocolate is most likely a daily essential which helps you to deal with the trials and tribulations of uni life.  It’s almost like a drug which numbs the pain of deadlines and 9am lectures. Unfortunately, you can have too much of a good thing and our over dependency on chocolate as a stress-reliever and daily pick me up can have some pretty negative effects on our health. While it may be a taste sensation which stimulates our insides, don’t let that distract you from the fact that chocolate is incredibly high in sugar. In one 45g bar of dairy milk there is precisely 25g of sugar – our entire days sugar intake! Scary stuff! I’m obviously not going to recommend boycotting milk/white chocolate all together (life’s just too short for that kind of restraint). However, perhaps we should be saving our chocolaty treats for special occasions or weekends and substituting our daily KitKat for a couple of squares of dark chocolate instead. Dark chocolate has a much higher cocoa percentage and a much lower sugar content. It’s a modern day superfood, rich in nutrients like healthy fats, iron, magnesium, and antioxidants.

Flavoured nuts for raw nuts:

Research shows that eating raw nuts such as cashews, almonds, walnuts and peanuts can have a multitude of health benefits. Nuts are naturally cholesterol-free and contain good amounts of heart-healthy fats, fiber, and protein. Incorporating more nuts into your diet can also lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. However, beware of flavoured nuts such as KP’s. Salted/roasted nuts are often high in saturated fats and loaded with salt. Regular consumption can lead to considerable weight gain and the high salt content can affect blood pressure and increase the risk of coronary heart disease.

White carbs for whole-wheat carbs: 

Brown carbohydrates such as wholegrain rice, pasta and bread tend to be much higher in fibre than white carbs. This high fibre content is essential for a healthy diet. White carbs are fast releasing, giving you cheap energy that leaves the bloodstream very quickly. On the other hand, brown carbs release slowly into the blood stream give you sustained energy for a much longer period of time. Not only will they keep you going for longer, but they will keep you fuller for longer, therefore better satisfying your appetite. (And in my opinion, they tend to taste better too).

Cereal bars for raw fruit and nut bars:

While you might think a cereal bar is far healthier than a Snickers, the sugar content tells us otherwise. In fact, some of your favourite cereal bars often contain just as much sugar as your standard chocolate bars. Raw fruit and nut bars are made with natural ingredients and often only contain naturally occurring sugars. They also tend to be higher in heart healthy fats and release energy at a slower rate.

References:

http://listverse.com/2012/05/18/10-unhealthy-foods-you-think-are-healthy/

https://www.shapefit.com/diet/healthy-carbs-brown-vs-white.html

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-dark-chocolate

Student at the University of Nottingham studying English and French. Spending a year in France doing sport, sailing and marketing.