6 Realistic Tips for the Perfect Speedy Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I am not a morning person. I am not even an afternoon person: I would sleep all day if I could. But with uni life in full swing again and a truckload of other adulting duties in our schedules, mornings need to be conquered and can be conquered in a mere HOUR (and that’s including the walk to uni).

1. Get as much as possible ready the night before =  – 15mins

Prepping your morning the night before is the ultimate way to cheat an early wake-up call. Decide on your outfit, wash your hair and pack your bag in advance to allow more time for snoozing. 2. Don’t set 10 alarms (I promise 2 will do) = 0 mins (if you stick to your second alarm!)

Whilst it’s seriously tempting to set 10 alarms to wake yourself up for that 9am lecture you keep missing, it’s actually far more effective to set 2 at most.

That way, you’ll remember that on the second one you actually do have to wake up (no snoozing your 10th alarm) and you can allow yourself a decent nap in between, rather than a piddly 2 minutes. 3. Start with herbal tea, oats and fruit  = 10-15 mins

Ignore the student in you wanting to fill up on a sugary cereal bar. The internet is always telling us that green smoothies and fruit infused water are the way to go, so try the student and time-friendly version: a hearty bowl of porridge and some herbal tea. It scores you major health points and will also keep you warm and full (no growling stomach in your lecture is always a plus!). 4. Keep your makeup routine simple – focus on skincare = 10 mins

Cleanse, tone and moisturise but keep your makeup light on those extra sleepy days – your skin will thank you. 5. Shower the night before and have a speedy cold shower in the morning = 5 mins

Hot showers are proven to make you more tired as they raise your internal body temperature. No one wants to shiver in a prolonged cold shower in the morning but a blitz of cold water will wake you up and refresh you, shaving precious minutes off your morning routine. Plus you’ll already be squeaky clean from your shower the night before.6. Wrap up warm and walk to uni = 30 mins

Saving a precious pound? Check. Morning exercise without added effort? Check. Avoiding the morning crush on the 34? Check. Bonus tip: Be consistent (ish) with your wake up times – including at the weekend!

Most people don’t willingly rise fully rested and refreshed at 7am on a Sunday, but ensuring you get up sometime in the region of the morning on weekends will make dragging yourself out of bed on weekdays far less daunting.

Following this realistic guide means you could be up, presentable and even a tiny bit fitter sitting in your 9 am within just an HOUR of waking up, meaning more snoozing but less of the homeless look. It’s a win-win.

Edited by Tia Ralhan

Image sources:

http://www.icovetthee.com/2014/03/whats-in-my-bag-zara-mini-office-city.html

http://ink361.com

www.mueslilover.com

www.kendieveryday.com

www.hercampus.com

Sophia is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her biggest claim to fame is having met one of the blokes from Horrible Histories on the tube once - when she says 'met' she really means she waved awkwardly. She is often found with her head in a book, pen in hand, watching The Office (US, obviously), eating or trying to tame her massive hair. Sophia hopes one to become a publisher so she can read all the books sent her way as her full time job.
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.