toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Iconic Halloween Costumes from Film and TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Carve some pumpkins and cast a spell; Halloween is almost upon us once again!

This is the one time of year where you can dress as a vampire, pumpkin, ghost or witch without people questioning your sanity, so get ready to take full advantage of this opportunity, fully embrace Halloween this year and go all out with a fabulous costume!

‘But,’ I hear you say, ‘I don’t know what to go as.’ Worry not! Read on for a specially curated list of the most iconic Halloween costumes from TV and film to help you unleash your spooky self.

Wednesday Addams – Addams Family Values (1993)

Beginning with the queen of Halloween herself, Wednesday Addams. All you’ll need is a black wig with pigtails, a big, white collar and a black dress. Who needs a knife or pitch-fork when you have resting-bitch-face so severe it could kill a man with just one look?

Dwight Schrute – The US Office (Season 9)

Pumpkin, suit, briefcase. That’s what you’ll need for what is, in my opinion, the simplest yet most effective costume of them all. A Halloween prank gone wrong, Dwight’s pumpkin head that just won’t come off is one of the funniest episodes of The US Office. Here’s hoping you won’t get stuck in your pumpkin, but even if you do, ‘the pumpkin should rot off in a month or two’!

Cady Heron – Mean Girls (2004)

‘Why are you dressed so scary?’ It’s because you’re wearing the ‘groolest’ costume of them all, Cady Heron’s ‘ex-wife’ from Mean Girls! To recreate Cady’s frightful look you’ll need a black wig, torn wedding dress and veil and hideous false teeth. While other girls at Halloween parties may be dressed like mice and Playboy Bunnies, all eyes will certainly be on you this year.

April Ludgate – Parks and Recreation (Season 2)

On anyone else, pink ribbons and a painted smile would look non-threatening, endearing even, but on Parks and Recreation’s April Ludgate, it’s terrifying. A character who’s scary enough when she’s not in costume, her creepy clown-doll makes the perfect Halloween costume. Grab a pink tutu, some pink bows and a black jacket and voila! The sarcastic spirit of April will possess you this Halloween.

Scout Finch – To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)

Put those papier Mache skills to the test and recreate Scout’s iconic Halloween pageant costume this year. Though seeing out of the eye holes of the ham may be difficult, find yourself someone like Jem to help you trick or treat. 

Worried that the costume won’t end up looking like a ham? Don’t worry! Just paint ‘HAM’ on the front to eliminate any doubt as to what you are. It may not be the scariest costume but it certainly has BOO Radley’s approval (sorry but that pun was just too good to leave out!)

And there you have it, some of the best Halloween costumes from across TV and film! Whoever you dress up as, whether you’re trick or treating, eating pumpkin pie, or watching a horror movie, have a very happy Halloween!

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

6

Thumbnail

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!