This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

For many of us, Christmas is synonymous with one thing, and one thing only: food. What better way to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year with any of these sweet festive treats? Full of sugar, spice and all things nice, these easy recipes are sure to get you in the Christmas spirit (and will also go down well with your family and friends). So pick your favourite and whip out your apron. Christmas songs are essential; Christmas pyjamas are also advised.

Malteser Christmas Pudding Cake

Ingredients:

• 3 large eggs
  • 175g self-raising flour
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 175g butter
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • 150ml double cream
  • 150g milk chocolate
  • 100g white chocolate
  • 2 large bags of Maltesers

Method:

• Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
  • Grease a round cake pan of around 20cm with butter or a light cooking spray. Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
  • Beat the eggs and add to the mixture, along with the flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder.
  • Empty into the prepared cake pan and bake for around 50 minutes. Test if your cake is ready by prodding it with a fork. If no mixture is on the fork the sponge should be thoroughly cooked. Leave to cool.
  • To make the icing: measure the cream and chocolate into a bowl and melt over a pan of hot water on a low heat.
  • Once the cake is cool you can ice the cake and add the Maltesers.
  • Melt some white chocolate, drizzle over the top and add some cherries to finish.

Christmas Tree Gingerbread Brownies

Ingredients:

• One box mix for Chocolate Fudge Brownies (because it’s easy and they taste good)
  • Eggs (the number of which will depend on your chosen box)
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp freshly grated orange zest
  • Icing sugar
  • Water
  • Sprinkles

Method:

• Preheat the oven to the specified time on your chosen box.
  • Grease a square baking tray with butter or a light cooking spray and line with baking parchment; leave enough of the parchment hanging over the sides of the tray so you can lift the brownies out once they are ready.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combining the brownie mix with the eggs, oil, spices, and the orange zest.
  • Spread the mixture evenly into the baking tray.
  • Bake for the specified time and then allow the brownies to cool.
  • Lift the brownies out of the pan, cut across horizontally to make two rectangles, then cut diagonally to make the triangle shapes.
  • Make the icing by combing the icing sugar and water. Add only a small amount of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
  • Drizzle in a zigzag fashion over the brownies and add sprinkles.

Santa Hat Cupcakes

Ingredients:

• 100g plain flours
  • 20g cocoa powder
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 40g unsalted butter
  • 120g whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ tsp vanilla extract
  • Red piping frosting.
  • White piping icing/mini marshmallows

Method:

• Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and fill a cupcake baking tin with 12 cupcake cases.
  • Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
  • Mix the eggs, vanilla extract and milk in a jug.
  • Gradually add the wet ingredients, cocoa powder and flour into the bowl, stirring each time you add more. Add the baking powder and ensure it is distributed throughout the mixture.
  • Spoon the mixture into the 12 cases and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
  • Remove your cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool.
  • Once cool, pipe a ring of red frosting on to each cupcake. Add the mini marshmallows around the circle.
  • Then fill the circle with frosting by going around and around up to a point to make the Santa hat. Top with another mini marshmallow.

Reindeer Rice Crispies

Ingredients:

• 180g of rice crispies
  • 45g butter
  • 300g mini marshmallows
  • Red smarties
  • 50g milk chocolate
  • White squeezy icing
  • Black squeezy icing

Method:

• Lightly grease a square baking pan with butter or a light cooking spray.
  • Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
  • Add the marshmallows and stir until they are completed melted.
  • Take the pan off the heat and mix in the cereal.
  • Press the mixture into the baking pan and put in the fridge to cool for an hour.
  • Cut the crispies into rectangles.
  • Melt the milk chocolate either over a pan and boiling water, or in the microwave.
  • Carefully use a teaspoon to create two antlers with the melted chocolate.
  • Use the white squeezy icing to draw and fill in two circles for the reindeer’s eyes.
  • Allow to completely set before using the black icing to finish the pupils.
  • Finally add a red smartie to each and you have lots of little Rudolph’s ready to devour.

Edited by Nicole Swain

Sources:

http://eighteen25.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/reindeer-rice-krispy-treats.jpg

http://platedcravings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Gingerbread-Christmas-Brownies-Image.jpg

https://www.wallpapersbuzz.com/christmas/christmas-treats.html

http://cdn.thewhoot.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Malteser-Christmas-Pudding–550×733.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3nAOLJmk6Nk/VHklDVFqy-I/AAAAAAAAHno/bscNehX7KJY/s1600/24156277_ml.jpg

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.