10 Ways to Make Your Student House a Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Now this isn’t going to be a blog from Ideal Homes or Good Homes (or any other magazine that just has nice pictures of amazingly designed houses). I’m simply going to give you a few pointers on how to make your Lenton student house less of a mouldy shell, and more of a home that you can be proud of when you invite your friends round for pre-drinks.

1. Cushions

Girls love cushions and they’re great for decorative purposes as well as comfort. Pop into Primark for some affordable but cute varieties.

1. Lamp shades

There is nothing worse than a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling. They remind me of hospitals and many other depressing places. You can get a lampshade for £3.50 from Wilkinsons in town so there is no excuse for harsh unwelcoming lighting.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/pendants+shades/wilko-satin-tapered-shade-white/invt/0326199

1. Photos

Print off loads of photos of you and your housemates and white tac them (landlords can be fussy about blu tac) to your living room and kitchen walls. You don’t want to be staring at 4 blank walls for a year, so you may as well stare at some lovely mug shots in your Fresher’s year.

1. Posters

Posters are a student room staple. I don’t expect you to go and buy expensive art to adorn your magnolia walls but at least brighten the place up with a poster of the New York skyline!

1. Flags

Maybe you went on a gap year and bought some lovely Tibetan prayer flags that could liven up the lounge. You could also simply invest in some floral bunting to make the room more lively, fun and quirky.

1. Bake a cake

The smell of cakes and baking bread are scientifically proven (possibly) to make you feel at home! This is a great recipe from Jamie Oliver for a great chocolate brownie that will make your house smell divine – much better than the faint smell of mould and smelly gym kit.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/bloomin-brilliant-brownies

1. Loo Roll Holder

Until you have experienced the horror and disgust of a soggy loo roll, you will not appreciate the beauty of a loo roll holder. Keep them off the floor and put the empty rolls in the bin! Also make sure your bathroom is complete with a nice bath mat and toothbrush holder. Head to Wilkinson’s and get yourself a bathroom accessory set for under £10.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/basin-accessories/wilko-white-bath-set-with-tray-ceramic/invt/0327651

1. Empty bottles

I walk past houses on my road and there are a variety of empty bottles lining the window sills of nearly every house. Whilst I would encourage recycling, it shows you’re having a good time and they could come in useful as vases. Nothing says classy more than a bunch of daffodils in an empty Jack Daniels bottle!

1. Heating

Yes it can be a little pricey during the winter months, but you don’t want to be shivering whilst you watch Geordie Shore. This is definitely a reality of any student house. If you are, unfortunately, forced to live in Baltic conditions, invest in a hot aluminium bottle and lots of blankets to ensure you stay cosy and warm.

1. Family meal

Your housemates become like family by the end of the year. You fight and you annoy each other. Have a meal all together at least once a term so that you can all reconvene and catch up over a simple and delicious home cooked meal. All the more, you can cook a big meal together.

Whilst I am no Kirsty Allsopp or Sarah Beeny, I hope I have encouraged you to make your house feel like home! Think about it, this is your first chance to personalise a room without your parents telling you off for tearing the wallpaper down – just be wary of the landlords!

Hannah Rought is a third year English student at University of Nottingham. She is successfully (?) managing her studies and being Head of Social Media for Her Campus Nottingham. Expect her to tweet #thirdyearwoes a lot this year, she doesn't want to graduate and have to become a real life grown up! 
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.