This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Winter is the worst season for skin. The dry, freezing air sucks all the moisture and brightness out of your skin, and heated buildings only make it worse. Everyone could definitely use a little TLC and pampering during these harsh months, and these are a few tips and products I’ve found that work for me!

1.  Use a hydrating mask.

Once a week, I like to do a more intensive mask to really rejuvenate my skin after a week of wind-chill. Origins’ hydrating mask feels amazing and helps restore some brightness back into my dull winter skin. Plus, you can have a mini spa day with your roommates!

2.  Try a face or body oil.

Because cold weather is so harsh on your skin, you need more intense, rich moisturizers to replenish the moisture you lose outside. Applying a body oil like this one from Burt’s Bees right after you shower moisturizes like nothing else, and if you’re reluctant to try putting oil on your face, body oils are a good place to start.

3.  Sunscreen is still your friend.

Even though summer days are a long way off, it’s still a good idea to wear a lotion with SPF every day. On those rare days when the sun in shining bright, the snow reflects the light, making it just as easy to get sun damage, and even when the permacloud reigns supreme, rays of light can still pass through. I like to apply Aveeno’s daily moisturizing lotion with SPF 15 before I do my makeup every morning to both lock in hydration and protect from the sun.

4.  Exfoliate your skin (GENTLY).

Regular exfoliating helps to clear away dead skin cells as they appear, and since in the winter skin turns flaky and cracked much more quickly, it’s even more important. However, using a gentle exfoliator is key – you don’t want to introduce even more stress to your skin! I like St. Ives’ oatmeal scrub as a gentler alternative.

5.  Drink lots of water!

It’s even more important to hydrate from the inside than from the outside, especially during winter. The artificial heat from buildings and the many layers of clothing we pile on can really dehydrate your skin and body, so getting your eight glasses a day becomes even more essential. I have a hard time getting enough water, so I’ve started carrying around a cute water bottle to motivate me!

We may be in the middle of winter now, but spring will be here before we know it. Hang in there, collegiettes!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Emily Rodriguez is a sophomore English major and Business Economics minor at Notre Dame. She joined Her Campus during fall 2014 and loves to write about style, television, and movies. When not in class, she can be found singing with Halftime, contemplating going to the gym and ultimately not going, and thinking too much about Parks and Recreation.