Thanksgiving Rivalry: Notre Dame vs. USC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Thanksgiving weekend for Notre Dame football fans means one thing: a trip out to the West Coast. The Irish always close out their regular season on the road against either USC or Stanford. Under the warm California sun the Saturday after Turkey Day, ND takes on one of the two rivals. This year, it’s USC. And for me, a SoCal girl (some times I question my decision to go to school in the arctic, too), being in the stands at the ND-USC game has been a long-time Thanksgiving tradition.

I consider USC to be Notre Dame’s biggest rivalry. Maybe it’s the fact that I grew up surrounded by USC fans, their “Fight On” chant, and over-played fight song that make me cringe, but not counting Michigan, I never want to beat anyone more than I do USC. Looking back at the history of the ND-USC rival, it is more than just an Irish staple. The rivalry really is one of college football’s all-time greatest traditions.

It all started in 1926 when, legend has it, Knute Rockne’s wife convinced him to regularly play the Trojans. Despite not being in the same conference, or regionally close, the teams have continued to compete against each other.

From the historic first game with Art Parisien’s touchdown pass to John Niemiec with two minutes on the clock for an Irish victory, to the Joe Montana-led Green Jersey victory in 1977, to the infamous Bush Push in 2005 for a Trojan victory in Notre Dame Stadium with just seconds left in the game, the rivalry never fails to live up to the hype.

Except possibly this year, seeing that game will no longer be aired during prime time. Maybe if ND and USC had produced a few more wins apiece the teams would have earned FOX’s later time slot…

That little tangent aside, the Irish and Trojans always bring their all against each other. Notre Dame currently leads the series 45-35-2. Between 1928 and 1932, the winner of each game won a National Championship and between 1962 and 1977 each team one three national titles. Fourteen Heisman have competed in the ND-USC game throughout the years. Notre Dame accounts for USC’s most losses, while the Irish have similarly fallen more to the Trojans than any other team.

Maybe it’s the contrast of USC’s Hollywood glam and glitz with Notre Dame’s Midwestern, good-ole Catholic school charm. Or the stark difference between ND’s Blue and Gold and USC’s Cardinal and Gold (let’s be real, USC’s gold can’t beat Notre Dame’s true gold). The in-your-face “Fight On” and the classic “Go Irish”…

Whatever it has sparked this rivalry for almost 90 years, it’s made for one heck of a college football tradition. I hope that I can walk out of the Coliseum on Saturday proud of an Irish victory. Maybe that will quiet the USC marching band.

The game kicks off at 3:30 p.m. EST for all you ladies enjoying this Thanksgiving weekend in the Bend.

Go Irish! Beat Trojans!  

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3

Source

My name is Kit Loughran. I'm a junior Marketing and Journalism double-major at Notre Dame.