A “Survival” Letter for Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

HEY YOU! YES YOU! 

I see you with your third venti-sized coffee of the night and your beautifully arranged pile of books and notes and folders, with hundreds upon hundreds of scribbles all over them. I see your eyes starting to close as you review that packet for the fifth time. I see your shoulders slumping and that feeling of being overwhelmed starting to fall around you. I see you still camped out in the Hes at 2:00 AM with no intention of going home in the near future. 

We have entered the most wonderful time of the year. Nope – it’s not the holidays, with the cheery music and yummy food and warm cocoa to lift your spirits. 

Welcome to Midterm Week, a.k.a the week of hell before a week of freedom (except for all you Appalachia folks, your time will come eventually). You may have begun this week with a mix of terror but confidence – after all, once you push through these 5 days, you will be awarded with a blessed week of fall break. Come Friday though, it’ll most likely end up similar to this: 

After a few weeks of cruising through lectures (and when I say cruising, I mean sleeping), you look down at your notes, thinking that everything will come rushing back to you in a wonderful moment of understanding, but, 

Have no fear! How lucky you are to have stumbled upon this article, which is just CHOCK FULL of fantastic tips and tricks to help you tackle down those midterms. 

1. That 500 word essay you have to write on Thursday? That 6 page paper due for Theology? Those short answer questions in Philosophy?

2. That Calculus exam that is quickly approaching? To be honest, I really have no advice to help with that one except for this gem, which you can employ once you find a desk to sit at. 

3. You can spend 6 hours making flashcards that you’ll (most likely) never look at afterwards, so be real:

4. Try to walk into an exam not fearing the worst, but instead:

5. You find yourself on the verge of tears realizing you have a chem AND a biology exam. Take a breath and ask yourself the ever important question to get yourself back on track, 

Even though you know that when you open your test packet,

6. Study hard so THIS WILL NOT BE YOU!

Now what are you still doing here?!

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Images: 1234567891011

Susan is a freshman at the University of Notre Dame studying mechanical engineering. You can usually find her eating ice cream despite her lactose intolerance and occasionally catch her acting as though her pH is greater than 7. She is excited for her midlife crisis because that is when she will be able to join the FBI, her lifelong dream. You can find her floating around in the Twitter realm and see her attempting to be artsy on Instagram, both at @agentsuezhu.