Showcase on Show Some Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If you are not familiar, Show Some Skin is a production of performed monologues that gives voice to unspoken stories about identity and difference on our very own campus. The monologues are anonymously submitted by members of the Notre Dame community, and quite a few of them will be performed by actors (some pictured below) who care very deeply about their monologue. Monologues cover a variety of subjects, including race, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, and even political issues.

I’ve had the honor of working with an amazing group of people while working on this show. As the Marketing Manager, I’ve talked to someone in pretty much every position – Director, Producer, Actor, Acting Coach, Marketing, you name it. While all these positions are incredibly different, a quality that underlies each and every person’s involvement is an incredibly powerful force – passion.

“I am a queen, unapologetically, and I will not let you take my crown. There is no force that can knock me. No amount of power that I cannot conquer. I am not your toy, I was not created for your amusement or to be your slave or servant. I am not here to fluff your ego and make you feel important. I will not sit behind you like the sun to moon, dimming my light so that yours can shine for those who could give a damn about your success. I am your equal.”

– Anonymous

These people care so much about these unspoken stories – they want to make sure that they do them justice. They don’t just shrug it off, they give it 110% and, frankly, it’s remarkable. The sheer raw nature of the performance is enough to bring out emotions that you didn’t know you had. The people in this projection will tell you that it changed their life, and we hope that it has an impact on yours as well.

This show emphasizes our similarities, our differences, our hopes, and our desires. It engages empathy, and makes us think about different perspectives we may not have considered before. It not only makes us interact as individuals, but as a community as well. That’s what I think is so beautiful about this show.

At the end of the day, everyone’s voice deserves to be heard. So, we hope you take the time to stop and listen.

“There’s something about Notre Dame that forces you to take on the illusion of perfection. You pretend you’ve got your life together, but as soon as you’re alone, all you can see if your own imperfections and failures.”

– Anonymous

Ticket Sales: February 22nd. LaFortune Ticket Office. $5 per ticket/Max. 5 tickets per person.

Show Dates: March 2 @ 7:30pm, March 3 @ 7:30pm, March 4 @ 2pm and 7:30pm

Follow the Show Some Skin Twitter, Like the Facebook Page, and Check out the YouTube Channel to see past shows and monologues!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

All images provided by the author and the ND Show Some Skin organization

Shelly Hank

Notre Dame '19

Shelly (Noun) (pronounced shell-ee) Definition: Notre Dame Grad #LyonsLove, Cat Lady, Hockey Enthusiast, and Taylor Swift disciple.