This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram are overflowing with images, quotes and tips involving self care. The concept absolutely BLEW UP in the past couple of years. If you’re like me, you might be a little confused about the concept as a whole or about how to incorporate the practice into your life. Lucky for us, I did some Internet-scoping to get the DL on self care: what it is, why it’s important, and how to incorporate it into your day-to-day life.

Alright, so first off, let’s answer the question: What IS “self care”? The general consensus that the Internet has brought me is that self care is an action performed deliberately that promotes one’s physical and/or mental health. For me, this broad definition takes the cutesy tips that Pinterest has to offer and adds the more basic tasks like eating a nutrient-packed meal and getting enough sleep. I like face masks and adult coloring books as much as the next girl, but, for me, those seem trivial when considering the entirety of my health.

So now that we’ve established a working definition of self care, you might be wondering “so what, Rachel? I get what it is, but why is it so important?”. Self care is important because if your health isn’t being taken care of, you can’t really be your best self. I could be taking six classes, be the president of two clubs, and go out Wednesday through Saturday, but if I’m neglecting my health, my mind and body will suffer. In my experience, if I’m not taking care of my mental health, I’ll perform worse in school, will lash out at those close to me, and, overall, will be more unhappy. If I neglect my physical health, I feel sluggish and am more likely to get sick and stay sick. Prioritizing the practice of self care, especially in the busiest times of life, will allow you to perform to the best of your ability, enjoy the activities you’re doing, and otherwise be the best version of yourself.

Okay, so now that I’ve sold you on the idea, let’s talk about different ways to practice self care!

Mental Self Care

-Take some time for yourself

-Indulge in some comfort food/drink

-Take a nap

-Give yourself a 15 minute brain break

-Call a friend, or go meet up with one

-Declutter your space

-Cuddle

-Try meditation

-Write a love letter to yourself

-Do something fun, the The Week @ ND emails have so many cool lectures and activities to consider (such as the Zumba event I attended)!

Physical Self Care

-Go for a run or walk outside, our campus is BEAUTIFUL

-Try yoga

-Get more sleep when you can

-Make sure to give your body the food that it needs

-STRETCH

-Drink more water

-Practice good hygiene

-Try out some tea (those that contain chamomile are good for stress, but try black teas when you need energy!) 

PLEASE NOTE: These are tips that have helped me deal with everyday physical, academic, and social stress and I am not offering them as treatment for mental illness. While these may help in coping, if you are suffering from mental illness, you should consider the University Counseling Center as a course of action. Located in Saint Liam Hall, the UCC can be reached at 574-631-7336. More information about the UCC and their services can be found on their webpage.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Photos provided by author.

I'm a junior studying political science and Spanish at the University of Notre Dame. I'm from Grand Rapids, Michigan and enjoy hot yoga, coffee dates and Bath and Body Works candles.