Romantic Reads for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Being an English major, I absolutely love to read. Books are some of my favorite things, and during the summer I finally have an opportunity to catch up on my lengthy “to-read” list. One of the best parts of summer is having the time to finally read those novels that everyone is talking about, and pick up a new book simply because it looks interesting. Recently, I’ve read a few novels that were particularly great and which I consider excellent summer reads. Whether you’re lying on the beach soaking up some sun or riding the train to work, these books will have you turning pages, eager to find out what happens next. WARNING: some spoilers ahead!

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins: 4 out 5 stars

The Girl on the Train is a captivating mystery story that you definitely won’t be able to put down. The story takes place in an English village and is centered upon the disappearance of a local woman. It’s narrated by a young woman named Rachel who is divorced, has recently lost her job, and is struggling with alcoholism. While she is certainly an interesting main character, she can also be an incredibly frustrating narrator at times because she shares events from a very limited perspective and relapses into her self-destructive habits on several occasions. The story is constructed around several complex and twisted relationships, and reveals that a person’s life is not always what meets the eye. With Rachel as the narrator, the reader has the opportunity to put the pieces of the crime together as Rachel learns them, and the ending is fairly unpredictable. Overall, Paula Hawkins has crafted a very intriguing and suspenseful novel that will hold the attention of any lover of mystery stories.

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes: 5 out of 5 stars

Me Before You is the heartbreaking and incredibly moving story of a man named Will and a woman named Louisa. After a being hit by a motorcycle and left as a quadriplegic, Will Traynor finds his life completely turned upside down and is devastated that he can no longer live his life the way he had intended. Having lost her job and needing to support her family, Louisa Clark accepts a job as his caregiver; though their relationship initially remains strictly professional and relatively unfriendly, any reader can sense from early on in the novel that they are bound to become much more than that. This compelling novel deeply explores the progression of Will and Louisa’s relationship, and will leave you thinking about what it means to truly love someone with all of your heart.

French Coast by Anita Hughes: 3 out of 5 stars

French Coast is the story of a young woman named Serena Woods who seems to have everything a girl could ever hope for: a fabulous job, an adoring fiancé, and a bright future ahead of her. However, after embarking on a business trip to France and learning a shocking family secret, her entire world changes. If you’re looking for a light summer novel, this is absolutely the book for you – it’s a fairly quick read and the story is full of fashion, romance, travel, and French culture. However, this novel also has some downsides; it’s a bit of a cookie-cutter story, and the ending is somewhat predictable. Also, several of the characters are considerably one-dimensional, and the plot itself isn’t particularly complex. But, if you’re simply seeking an interesting story to pass the time, this novel will do the trick.

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu or Katrina Linden at klinden1@nd.edu.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4