Real Life Mermaid: Michelle Wern ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If you have an eye for style, grace, and just general badassery, then you’d be able to spot this week’s Campus Celebrity from a mile away. Besides her bubble gum pink hair, dazzling smile, and adorably quirky personality, this real-life mermaid has also been gifted with the voice of an angel. So if you want to meet one of the coolest cats on campus, read on, because this week’s Campus Celebrity is none other than Michelle Wern

The Basics: 

Name/Nickname: Michelle, but some people call me Mich or Michey. I generally respond to anything that sounds remotely like my name. Except Shelly…yuck *visibly grimaces* 

Pen Name, if you had to choose one: I’d probably just use my initials. They’re the same when you flip them upside-down, and I think that’s way cooler than it actually is.

Major (Also, if you could design a major, what would it be?): I’m a senior double major in Math and Art! Oh man, I’d love to make a video game design major. That’d be awesome. 

Dorm: Lyons! Everyone here is super friendly. Even though I just transferred here last year, it feels like home *sheds single tear*

Hometown: Wading River on Long Island! Best town hands down, even though the main attraction is an underwhelming pair of duck ponds (the swans had babies this year!).

Describe yourself in three words (or in three GIFs, I don’t discriminate):

One…

Two…

And last but not least…(I know it’s a picture, but it’s just so perfect)

Hobbies: Singing, painting, photography, video games and Netflix. 

What have you been up to this summer?

I’ve actually been working with my friend who makes and sells video game replica knives! I’m painting a few custom ones, too. It’s been an awesome experience. I work at Applebee’s, too, but that’s slightly less cool.

And what will you be doing on campus in the fall? 

I’m in the a cappella group, The Echoes, and I work two jobs, at Legends and at ND Press. If I’m not doing either of those things, I’ll most likely be at Riley working on something weird. 

Music (Wo)man

So tell me more about this a cappella thing that you do…is it like the real-life version of Pitch Perfect

Yes. But for real, it’s the best thing I do on campus. I’ve never met a more hilarious, sweet, and talented group of people, and I’m lucky to call them all my friends. 

Five song go-to playlist? 

Oh man. This is a toughie. I always listen to songs too much and get tired of them, but here’s some I haven’t overdone yet:

1. “Flicker”by Porter Robinson

2. “Like I Can” by Sam Smith

3. “Old 45’s” by Chromeo

4. Anything by Die Antwoord

5. This cover of “Trap Queen C.”

Who do you think your voice most resembles/who do you wish it resembled? (basically who’s your singing idol)?

I’ve been told it resembles Karen Carpenter’s, which I think is a really nice compliment!! I’m a big fan of Janelle Monae though and I’d love to sing like her! Or I’d like to have one of those male voices that sing in falsetto really well, because that always sounds amazing.

Arts and Crafts

Will you share some of your artwork with us? 

Pen and Ink:  

Painting: 

Photography: 

We Never Go Out of STYLE

Describe your style for us. Who’s your style icon? 

I try to stay comfortable but look put together and fashionable. I tend to avoid bright colors, but lately I’ve been trying to mix it up a bit I guess! I also love LAYERS! I’m gonna hop on the Ruby Rose train and say she’s my current fashion icon. 

What hair colors have you had, what’s your favorite, and what can we expect to see next?

I’ve had dirty blonde (natural), platinum, white, grey, purple, black, brown, and pink! I have absolutely no clue what’s coming next. I’ll let you know if I think of anything. My favorite has been this recent pink/purple combo, which is surprising since those are two of my least favorite colors.

Tell me a little bit about your coffee obsession? What is your go to Starbucks order? 

Oh man. I’ve been drinking coffee since I was in middle school, and about 6+ cups a day since 8th grade. It sounds bad, I know. My go-to recently is the flat white with an extra shot of espresso! My secret basic indulgence is to add soy milk. 

What Netflix shows have you been bingeing on lately? 

BLOODLINE. It’s filling the void Parenthood left behind in my heart.

Relationships:

Relationship Status: I’m happily taken! (I couldn’t think of a not-lame way to say it)

Ideal Date?

Archery tag! It combines paintball and archery into the perfect date, which toes the line between embarrassing and cool. Just like I like it!

Worst Pick-up lines ever used on you?

I got a good one at the Mermaid Parade this year–“I’d like to put you in my fish tank!” Honestly, I didn’t even know what he meant, but I appreciated that he took advantage of the fish theme!

Life at Notre Dame

Best and Worst ND experiences?

Best: The Echoes–my really awesome a cappella group 

Worst: My freshman year. I was very homesick, in a major I didn’t like, and barely had any friends. Toward the end of the year it got better though, and sophomore year more than made up for it!

Five things on your ND bucket list? 

1. Actually learn where all the buildings are

2. Jump in the lake

3. Not lose my ID for more than a semester

4. Go through the tunnels!

5. Climb Stepan

Favorite Study Spot: The BFA studio in riley! The atmosphere is great, and there’s a ton of inspiration around to keep me motivated to work hard.

What is one thing about ND that you wish more people knew about/did? 

I wish more people went to Legends more often! But that’s mostly because I work there. Oh and I wish more people knew about how awesome the Snite is! It’s a great study space and awesome for artistic inspiration. I’m on the advisory group, and we’ve been trying to host events that make more people come to the museum. They are always pretty fun! #shamelessplug

The Real World

Where do you see yourself in five years? Where do you dream you could be in five years? 

I’d love to have any job, really. But I’d want to do commissioned paintings on the side of whatever I end up doing. I would be extremely happy if I had my own photography studio. 

Five things on your grown up bucket list? 

I want to go back to Poland for a longer time! I’d also like to visit Japan, and New Zealand, and a ton of other places. I’d also like to do the poor-young-person-in-NYC thing for at least a small while, and live in a crappy studio apartment like a cool starving artist!

If you could have lunch with any three people (living or dead), who would they be and why? 

1. Scott Aukerman – He’s my hero.

2. Ben Folds – He’s also my hero.

3. Harris Wittels – He was my favorite.

College is hard, relationships are hard, life is hard…what keeps you going? How do you maintain your beautifully positive attitude all the time? 

Man, life really is hard! But so many awesome things are always happening. I try to make an effort to notice positive things going on instead of the bad stuff. Being negative about something usually only serves to make the effects of the bad event last longer anyway!

Thanks, Michelle!

XOXO, HCND

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Images: 1, 5, 6, 7, 8 provided by Michelle Wern; 2, 3, 4 

MJ Jackson

Notre Dame

Meadow Jackson is a senior at the University of Notre Dame studying Political Science, Japanese, and the Art of Procrastination. Her goals in life are to work toward world peace, run a marathon, and somehow earn a lifetime supply of coffee (not necessarily in that order). She loves learning languages, traveling, eating copious amounts of vegetarian food, and finding hole-in-the-wall cafés in all corners of the world (where she can do all of these things at once). Feel free to email her at any time at mjacks12@nd.edu (especially if you have any information on how to win a lifetime supply of coffee ).