This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I was a late arrival to the podcast bandwagon. I would listen to them occasionally, but never really became invested in any particular channel or story. All of that changed, however, when I was introduced to the podcasts “Modern Love” and “Code Switch” last summer. These quickly became the only things that I wanted to listen to while doing work. Both had their own unique flavor and moments that connected me to the world and to others. Since then, I have discovered several other podcasts to fill my daily walk to school and inform me about the world. Obviously, this is not a comprehensive list, but rather the ones that I have found that are informative, well-written, and well produced.

*It should also be noted that the list is simply in alphabetical order by podcast title.

1. NPR’s “Code Switch”

One of the podcasts that brought me into the podcast fold, “Code Switch,” investigates race and identity, often through the lens of current events. It is beautifully done, bringing light to unheard voices and stories and compelling the listener to truly reflect on the “conversation about race and identity.” The podcast is raw, open, funny, and sad, all rolled into one. They also have an excellent Spotify playlist entitled “NPR Code Switch: Songs Giving Us Life,” which features songs that are played on the outro of the podcast.

2. The New York Times’ “The Daily”

This podcast provides a daily newsflash that keeps you informed within a time span that is manageable. Although the podcast often comes at issues from a certain bias, the format of the podcast and quality of the reporting usually more than makes up for it. Each podcast is about 20 minutes long (aka the perfect length of time for the walk to class, especially if you live off campus) and split into two sections. The first section is a longer piece on a relevant issue of the day. The podcast goes in depth into the issue, usually speaking to one expert or reporter who has been following the topic for quite some time. The second section of the podcast is only a few minutes, but just as relevant. Titled “Here is What Else You Need to Know Today,” this section gives brief soundbites on other important news stories of the day.

3. KCRW’s “Left, Right, and Center”

“Left, Right, and Center” discusses current political issues with hosts and guests from different political perspectives. Although the episodes are on the longer side at almost an hour, they are filled with intelligent analyses of current events that not only gives insight into the issue, but also other political persuasions. I also appreciate that they close with a light-hearted segment entitled “Tweet of the Week,” which is smart, funny, and relevant.

4. WBUR and The New York Times’ “Modern Love”

This is one of the first podcasts that made me appreciate the podcast movement. In a nutshell, this podcast is “stories about love, loss, and redemption.” However, it is so much more than that. I have laughed, cried, and everything in between to the essays read on “Modern Love.” The idea is that the Modern Love essays published in The New York Times, are read aloud by celebrities and then briefly discussed by the author of the essays, the reader, and the editor. Although this podcast is not informative per se, the stories are intensely relatable and consistently renew my faith in humanity with their honesty.

5. Slate’s “Slow Burn”

A podcast that investigates the Watergate scandal from a variety of angles, this podcast has given me a new appreciation for historical reporting. The variety of stories that are little known involving the scandal as well as the copious amount of personal interviews and sound archives used provide an excellent, fresh take on one of the United States’ most well-known events.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hello! My name is Nadia Tiy and I am a junior studying Russian and Education, Schooling, and Society. I am originally from a VERY small town in Minnesota, but I am happy to call Notre Dame my current home. I love all things involving books and coffee, so I can most often be found in Waddick's with a large coffee and Russian novel in hand. When I am not reading for my Russian lit classes, I am in DPAC stage managing, running (or walking) the lakes, binge watching Netflix with ice cream, or catching up with my friends (over coffee of course).