The Potato Powerhouse You NEED to Be Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Some people tend to avoid potatoes because of their concern regarding how starchy they are considered to be. However, I’m here to tell you that you have nothing to fear! Both white potatoes and sweet potatoes have a lot of nutritional value, but sweet potatoes can really offer more bang for their buck.

First off, carbohydrates are not the enemy. Check out Sabrina’s article to understand why this is and get convinced if need be. Because carbohydrates aren’t the enemy, sweet potatoes can be your friends! Not only do they provide you with an energy source, but they are low in fat and jam packed with vitamins, minerals, carotenoids and fiber.

According to the Cleveland Clinic, sweet potatoes contain 400% of your daily vitamin A requirements. They also contain vitamins B6 and C. In addition to these mineral, the Cleveland Clinic also explained that these babies are jam packed with minerals including potassium, calcium, magnesium and manganese. The American Red Cross also stated that sweet potatoes are a good source of iron. 

What are carotenoids you ask? The Physcians Committee for Responsible Medicine explained that carotenoids are the pigments give fruits and vegetables their orange, yellow or green colors. The carotenoids act as antioxidants and are known for having cancer-fighting properties. Certain carotenoids can also be converted to vitamin A.

Sweet potatoes can be made in many different ways. For instance, they can be chopped up and boiled, baked in an oven or zapped in a microwave. I like to slice them up into the shape of fries and bake them in the oven with a bit of olive oil and spices to taste.

They can also be used in combination with other foods to make some yummy meals. This summer I made sweet potato pancakes and a burger incorporating sweet potatoes and lentils. Those recipes can be found here and here. If neither of these appeal to you, have no fear, there are 100s of recipes out there and you may need to test a few to see what you like. Also be sure to check out Ella and Molly’s blogs for more delicious recipes.

Whenever the dining hall is serving sweet potatoes or you come across them at the store or market, try to load up! Your body will thank you.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1,2, 3 and 4 by author

Sources: 1,2,3,4,5,6

Abbey Murphy

Notre Dame

Abbey Murphy is a senior at Notre Dame from outside of Boston. She's majoring in pre-health studies and sociology and is passionate about all things related to health and wellness. She hopes to share information which will help collegiettes feel their best as they work towards reaching their goals.