Polish off Your Look!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

When people think of style and self-expression, they often think of clothes. However, nail art is a big component of fashion that is often overlooked. In fact, one of the first things I notice about a person is their hands, and how well their nails are manicured. Whenever I have my nails painted, I feel like I really have my life together. I know it’s a little thing, but it makes a huge impact. I always enjoy painting my nails but sometimes I feel like I can’t keep up with all of the changing nail polish trends.

The one nail polish tip that I follow religiously is applying a base and topcoat. My polish just doesn’t last as long if I don’t. Additionally, I find myself being loyal to certain brands. I would like to attribute my love of OPI nail polish to my mom, who bought me my first polishes. The names of the colors are so fun! I can still remember my first bottles of the magical liquid: “Cha-Ching Cherry” and “It’s All Greek to Me.” They will forever be in my heart. Now that my collection has expanded, I’m getting bored with plain colors. I’m ready to be adventurous and expand my repertoire of painting skills.

Every time I get on Pinterest, I find a new style that I would like to try. Since fall is my favorite season for nail polish, I looked into some styles appropriate for the season. The colors for autumn are bolder, but not quite as harsh as some of the winter shades. This look is the perfect combination of light and dark.

The only tricky part would be the chevron nail, but the brown and gold would be pretty on its own too. If you wanted to try the chevron, the easiest way to go about it would be to use a nail art pen. These pens are thinner than the average polish brush, which allows for smaller and more intricate designs. Otherwise, a toothpick dipped in polish and a really steady hand work well.

The next design that I am going to attempt is the reverse French manicure. This looks so simple but so chic. Just paint the solid base color and once it dries, paint the half moon at the base of your nail with whatever glittery color you want. Make sure the base color is completely dry before adding the glitter, so that the colors don’t mix. If you don’t have glitter nail polish, any clear nail polish and loose glitter works just as well. Don’t forget the topcoat!

Lastly, with Christmas quickly approaching, what could be better than these candy cane inspired nails? Start with a white base color and then add varying sizes of tape strips once the white is completely dry (about five minutes should do it). Paint over the tape with a red polish and then carefully peel off the strips of tape. Add a topcoat once the red is dry in order to prevent any smearing and enjoy your minty fresh nails.

Remember, your nails don’t have to be professionally manicured to look good. Have fun and don’t be afraid to experiment with new patterns.

Photos 1, 2, 3

Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.