This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Every Notre Dame student seems to be constantly on the move, participating in multiple clubs and activities on campus and planning ahead for their futures. Out of all of the students at ND, however, Nicole Sganga is possibly the busiest. She’s been everywhere during her junior year – twenty-one countries, to be exact! She not only travelled, but also interned and worked while studying abroad. Her motivation, determination to succeed, kindness, and ability to encourage those around her (not to mention her love for everything Irish!) make her a wonderful example of another amazing Notre Dame student.

You spent your entire junior year studying abroad, plus the summer! How were your experiences? What were some of the best parts of your time abroad?

This past year has been quite a whirlwind. Twenty-one countries in one year sounds more like a reality TV show than the reality of a college junior. But from the ten hour bus rides to long nights in airports, I have no regrets! Picking a favorite memory is tough. I tagged along with three friends to Latvia and ended up bobsledding 100km/hour on the official Olympic track on the same day Latvia’s bobsled team won the Silver medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. So that was pretty incredible. Reporting for CBS London from outside St. Mary’s Hospital in London when Duchess Kate Middleton gave birth to Prince George was a hoot—there were so many excited Londoners and a complete media circus awaiting the little prince! I also had a blast meeting James Franco on the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival.

You spent this summer abroad also, writing for the New York Times. How were you able to have this experience, and what did you spend your time doing? Did this summer have any impact on what you think you’d like your career to be?

Reporting for The New York Times alongside Pulitzer Prize winning columnist, Nicholas Kristof, is something I’ll probably carry with me my entire life. If the editorial page of the New York Times website is as far as my journalism career takes me, I think I’ll die plenty happy. But that’s not to say it wasn’t a difficult journey. Reporting 16 hours – sun up to sun down – from inside Western Myanmar’s 21st century Muslim concentration camps isn’t really “another day in the life of Nicole.” I felt for so many of the people I met suffering at the hands of governmental and cultural persecution, that it became difficult to keep my bearings in such a tense climate. When I was interviewing young girls in remote villages, I would often ask them, “What are your dreams for the future?” My query was met with long pauses, awkward eye contact, and silence. Many girls didn’t know how to respond. No one had ever asked them that question before, and that is a rather disheartening reality in much of the developing world. In the remote villages of Western Myanmar, children – especially girls – are startled by such a question. A young female simply isn’t asked to consider her future, because oftentimes her fate and second class citizenry are sealed at birth. For example, in the Rohingya Muslim community of Yaethay, Myanmar, many women I spoke to told me they cannot leave their homes without the explicit approval of their husbands. That’s a tough reality for a 20 year old college student to swallow. And I was pretty honest about it in my NY Times blogs. By the way, you can check them out here. In terms of my future, I know that I want to spend my time focusing on shining a light on those neglected stories of the developing world. That’s not the easiest career path in journalism, but I believe there’s a huge need for this sort of reporting. Not to mention, I was shocked by just how many people followed the New York Times blog. I had to stop and process the fact that, “Wow, people are really reading this online, all across the world!”

Do you think having different internships/job experiences is beneficial to understanding various aspects of a career or difference career possibilities? What have your internships taught you?

I think forcing yourself to enter the real world is the best thing any journalism student can do! My internships at CBS, NBC, and the New York Times have led me to some pretty interesting places – inside a mobile health clinic in remote coal mining towns in Appalachia, in the back of a makeshift pharmacy in Burma, and face-to-face with the ambassadors of five countries. Tomorrow, I’m interviewing a Congressman one-on-one. (I’m pretty nervous and most likely not going to be able to sleep tonight.) Through it all I’ve learned loads of new skills (like how to carry a tripod, video camera, three microphones, four cereal bars, and a change of clothes in a small backpack!) Yet the most important lessons I’ve uncovered are (1) Believe you are capable and (2) Always ask questions. A great journalist is one who understands the responsibility they hold to report the truth and isn’t afraid to put themselves out there in order to find it. You don’t get anywhere by taking a backseat in your reporting! And that’s a lot easier said than done.

What about Notre Dame led you to decide that ND was right for you?

Definitely the football. Just kidding – I didn’t understand why Manti Te’o and TJ Jones wore the same number for the longest time. (Don’t worry, I eventually bought a copy of Football for Dummies and somehow landed on the sidelines of the 2013 BCS National championship game.) I think it all comes down to the Notre Dame family. (Cheesy, I know.) After all, you go to college for four years. You go to Notre Dame for a lifetime. The atmosphere is amazing. The people are even more amazing. I’m just excited to look back ten years from now at all of my incredibly talented, accomplished friends and say I knew them when! (That includes you, Colleen!)

What was the most influential experience/opportunity Notre Dame has given to you?

Notre Dame has opened so many doors for me. Even if I wrote a thank-you note to Father Jenkins every day, I don’t think I could express all of my endless gratitude. Two summers ago I worked in Northern Thailand helping grassroots organizations produce public health videos for Shan refugees. The short films focused on combatting AIDS, fighting alcoholism, and promoting local clinics. I even ended up creating yoga tutorials (in Thai) for residents living in rehabilitation centers and performed at a nursing home talent show. With the sponsorship and support of the Hesburgh-Yusko Scholars Program, I was able to travel halfway across the world to come face-to-face with not only an entirely new culture, but a new set of friends and family. Also while living in Thailand, I kissed a tiger, three elephants, and an ostrich. So I guess there’s that…

Are you excited to be back in South Bend in the fall!?

Yes. I’m (weirdly) excited to live in a dorm (Go Phoxes!), and eat at a dining hall, and maybe attend an SYR. (Try not to judge me. I know I’m a senior.) Most importantly, I’m excited to be reunited with so many incredible people – friends, professors, and mentors. It’s been a great year, but now it really is time to return home. I couldn’t be happier about that.

New to Pinterest? So are we! Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images provided by interviewee

I'm from Oneida, NY and have been a Notre Dame fan my entire life.  I recently changed my major to psychology and have a minor in Education, Schooling, and Society.  I studied "abroad" in Washington, DC in the fall of 2013 and interned with the D.C. Public School District.  I am a tennis coach and a piano teacher outside of school.