Meet the “Monitors” of NDH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Where is your happy place at Notre Dame? Where do you go when the weight of the world is bringing you down and you need to get back up — whether it’s from the literal 25 pound chemistry book in your backpack or the burden of pre-career fair woes? Some of us might find sanctuary in the rippled reflection of St. Joseph’s Lake, or in that one comfy chair in the dorm hallway, or even at the Huddle candy wall with all of its sugary glory. My happy place? North Dining Hall, of course.

But, even happier than I am on wing night (if possible), are the people you see when you first step foot through NDH’s doors. These are the smiling faces of NDH’s “Monitors,” better known as our beloved card-swipers.  These are the human beings that don’t just let us into the dining hall and clean up our spilled stir-fry, but who also offer a genuine welcome every time our crew rolls in for some grub.They’re real, they’re cool, and they love their ND students as much as we love them. Today, I stopped in to talk to Janice H. (pictured in middle) about what it’s really like to swipe those cards!

So, tell me. What’s your typical work like at the DH?

I was hired as a monitor, so we’re those people who see the students when they first come in to eat. But I also work the cashier in here, and I’ll do special things on Sundays like stocking the grab ‘n’ go sections. I like to keep busy!

What’s the best part about your job?

I think most of us really enjoy most the interaction we have with students, swiping them in and seeing them every day. They’re like my kids, almost, now that my real kids are all grown up.

Janice also mentioned that her daughter, who lived in Cavanaugh Hall (go Chaos!) and recently graduated in 2011, married a nice Notre Dame boy and now has 4 kids of her own. It’s no wonder, then, that she’s got a soft spot for the student connections she makes.  

You can get into conversations with them. A lot of people will go through, but some will stop to talk and you’ll get to know their name, their background, what they’re studying. Sometimes the guys will introduce you to their girlfriends, or you’ll banter back and forth a little. Sometimes they’ll just go on, but other times they’ll stop for 10 minutes to chat. It’s a neat experience.

Any specific moments you’ve got in mind?

This one student came in and I got on him because he didn’t introduce me to his girlfriend. He’d been talking to her and about her for 2 or 3 months, so I asked, how come you didn’t introduce me?’ He’d also been deciding whether or not to take a job, so I gave him some advice on that. It’s a chance to interact and see what these kids really have going on in their lives.

Do you ever keep up relationships with DH regulars?

Sure. One student who I’d always talk with went abroad, so I hadn’t seen him for nine months. Then he came back, and I was able to ask him questions all about it, like “how were your travels?”

What do you think about the battle between NDH and SDH?

You’ll find that the kids who come to the North Dining Hall like the North Dining Hall, the kids have an allegiance. I think it’s kind of funny, and it’s fun! People who haven’t been over here… I tell them they’ve gotta come to North, but I’ve worked with the really nice ladies over at the South Dining Hall, too. Of course, you’ve gotta stick up for your location.What’s your go-to dining hall meal?

Me, myself, I stick to the chicken and the veggies.

If you had to pick one special food to have…

Oh, my favorite is when they have something special for the desserts; I’m a dessert person. It just depends if the “special” meals fall on the specific days that you’re working, so you’ll maybe get one or two a year. Christmas and Thanksgiving when they have the nice big sugar cookies… those are good days! They have to be the shaped ones with icing on them, though.

Agreed on the cookies, 100 percent. Thanks so much for the interview and all of your smiles, Janice, and we’ll see you at dinner!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: provided by author, 1,2 

Katie Eilert

Notre Dame

Katie Eilert is a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame, where she is studying Marketing with minors in Poverty Studies and indecisiveness. She hails from Kansas City (the Kansas side, hold the Wizard of Oz references) but currently resides with the Chaos of Cavanaugh Hall, and she never stops talking about either one. She is an avid college basketball fan to make up for her own lack of hand-eye coordination and spends the rest of her time thinking of terrible puns, running, reading, and drinking too much coffee. Go Irish!