Major Advice on Choosing a Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Last semester a few of my senior friends, now freshly minted alums, confessed that they hated their major. Each had a different dream major in mind, but it was not the one on their diploma. 

I have friends, sophomores, and even alumni, who are in awe of the passion I have for my major. But, I think that is how it should be for everyone. Maybe it’s because I come from a family of people who majored in what they wanted, despite its presumed practicality. Maybe it’s because I don’t do “conventional” as well as most Domers. Or maybe, it’s just because I actually believe that college leads us to be better versions of ourselves.

I was always told to study what I liked. Yes, I am concerned about practicality; I am a Notre Dame student after all. But more importantly, I chose what allowed me to focus on what I am most passionate about, while channeling my natural strengths.

I have a sophomore friend–let’s call her Lindsey–declaring a major in Finance, which I think is fantastic. Mendoza is brimming with the next generation of innovators. Not to mention, a group of esteemed, successful professors whom I, at least, have learned a lot from. And considering I absolutely hate any sort of calculations, I admire those who actually know what all the buttons on their calculator do. There’s just one problem, she already knows she isn’t passionate about it.  But, it’s safe and practical, so who cares right? Wrong. My advice to her is to major in Finance AND something you care about. The double major will help not only diversify you, but illuminate careers that you actually care about. Start thinking outside the box; turn Finance into a skill that can fuel your passion. Passion in what you do, after all, is a key factor in happiness. 

Oh, and I have another friend–let’s call her Erin- who’s also a rising sophomore. Erin came into ND with a one-track mind. Pre-Professional. Again, I admire her for it. I couldn’t even get through two pages of a medical textbook without transforming into a manic hypochondriac. Of course, there was a problem though. She didn’t enjoy any of her pre-professional classes. And by “didn’t enjoy,” I mean she used some pretty colorful language whenever the word Chemistry came up. She soon found that unlike Chemistry, she loved her writing based classes. Although, it was hard for Erin to give up on a dream, it became easier after she realized that she was actually enjoying her assignments as an English major.

There’s a lesson here, FRESHMEN LISTEN UP PLEASE, be open-minded when entering college, because it changes you. In case you had any doubts, change is good. It leads you to finding yourself, your passions, and your niche. I know choosing a major feels overwhelming and you may be afraid of making the wrong choice. But hey, you already made the right decision by choosing Notre Dame, so your track record on big decisions looks pretty good.  

I was raised not to talk about politics; it’s rude and you may offend someone, so better to avoid it. Oops, I became a Political Science major. Like I said, things change. You find out more about yourself in college than you knew existed. As Notre Dame students, I am sure my readers want to be a force of positive change in the world as I do. If so, take my advice and study something you’re passionate about. The path becomes clear after that, I promise.

Not a bad spot to do some MAJOR reflection…

Follow HCND on Twitter and Instagram (@hercampusnotredame), and like us on Facebook

Images: 1, other image provided by author

From the Beach to the Bend! I am a Junior Political Science major at the University of Notre Dame originally from Laguna Beach, CA (...yes, like the show). I am minoring in Constitutional Studies and Energy Studies, both of which are much more exciting than they sound I promise! In typical California style, I am obsessed with fish tacos and all things eco-chic! And I am constantly dancing or choreographing in my head!