free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Lisa Wuertz ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Meet this week’s HCND Campus Celeb Lisa Wuertz

Just half a semester into junior year, Lisa has already taken the year by storm. This Chicago native is fulfilling the qualifications of the ideal Notre Dame student, if you will. Junior year is the busiest year yet, but Lisa has mastered the coveted art of doing it all—between her classes, internship search, and tailgate finesse. Even on her path to becoming the next great female finance hero, she still finds time to fit her friends into her very booked schedule—whether it’s through a spinning class, Panera date, study sesh, or an occasional cocktail.

And just when you thought Lisa couldn’t do one more thing, she’ll be packing her bags in a few months for a semester abroad in London. But, before she gets ahead of herself and flies through the rest of junior year, Lisa reflects on living in the moment, the pressures of entering the “real world,” and her junior year survival tricks.

Name: Lisa Wuertz

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Year: Junior

Hall: Cavanaugh (and Honorary Member of Lyons)

Major: Finance

Favorite Color: Purple

Favorite Jam: “Chase Us Around” by Viceroy 

What has been the best part of Junior year so far?

It’s so hard to pick just one! I would have to say continuing to meet new people and expand friend groups. Junior year is interesting because so much of our class is abroad, which makes campus feel empty. But, with a lot of people gone, it’s made everyone on campus branch out more than usual. Now you consider that girl who you would just say “Hey!” to in the hallway one of your better friends. It’s great.

Even though junior year is so much fun, it also has the reputation of being the hardest. What has been the biggest challenge?

That is so true. Junior year has definitely been the most stressful—and we are barely halfway done with first semester! I think the biggest challenge has been trying to get an internship and do all my schoolwork at the same time. Applying for internships is like a class in-and-of itself.

And as a Finance major, pressure to find an internship is on. How’s the search going?

I’m over the pantsuit and portfolio life. As a Finance major, you have to be on top of your game right away because all the companies conduct interviews and hire interns in these first few months of the semester.

How do you like Finance?

TBD…

The classes are definitely challenging, but I’m learning a ton. Definitely great “real world” prep.

Pretty soon this hectic finance/internship semester will be over, and you’ll be departing for London! Are you excited?

I’ve never been to London, and now I get to travel to Europe with some of my best friends—I couldn’t be happier!  But there are definitely a lot of things I will miss about not being on campus in the Spring. I can’t wait, though!

Is there anything on your bucket list before leaving South Bend for a semester?

Potentially going undefeated again in football (not that I have any control over that).

What are your survival tips for doing junior year right?

Work hard, play hard. It really says it all. We are having the time of our lives right now—living with our best friends with no true responsibilities yet. Having said that, it’s so important for us to do well these semesters and stay on top of our school work and networking, which is where the “work hard” part comes into play.

Thanks Lisa! Enjoy the rest of Junior year! xoxo

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images 1, 2, and 3  provided by author 

My name is Kit Loughran. I'm a junior Marketing and Journalism double-major at Notre Dame.