Jenna Marbles’ Videos Doing Her Own Hair Are An Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I remember watching Jenna Marbles videos when I was like fifteen years old, but since then I really haven’t perused YouTube and honestly had no idea she was still around. But somehow I stumbled upon a video of hers again and it was a true blessing.

Apparently, my girl Jenna has been all about doing DIY hair makeovers lately, and I’m living for it. As someone who had a bad experience the singular time I tried to do something new with my hair, watching Jenna give zero f***s is incredible.

The Jenna Marbles rabbit hole I ended up in began with the video “Cutting and Coloring My Own Hair.” I figured it might be kind of entertaining. Little did I know she was about to dye her entire head the color of a Swedish Fish.

Basically her boyfriend was out of town and she was bored. I mean, her technique was questionable, but the color honestly looked pretty good by the end of it. Cutting her own bangs was another story–the girl just did not know when to stop.

Then…SHE DID IT AGAIN. Sally Beauty actually sent her some free stuff (hmu if you want to Sally) and this time she went a little subtler–as in navy blue.

Again her boyfriend was super supportive and cute about it. Her forehead literally looks so blue and he still says she looks cute. That’s love.

But did Jenna stop there? Nope. She went ahead and bought some tape-in extensions, dyed them all blue and put them in. SHE’S A BLUE-HAIRED QUEEN.

She actually effed this one up pretty bad, because she left the part with the tape blonde, so you can see them in her hair, which I’m pretty sure is the big faux pas of extensions. But hey–it’s not like I would’ve known any better. A for effort.

What’s crazy was this insane woman actually inspired me. No–my hair is not Flaming Hot Cheeto red. However, I did go out and get some ten dollar, pink, semi-permanent hair dye after watching her, because similar to Jenna, that sounds like the level of commitment, AKA “low commitment”, I wanted to make…and I was bored as hell when I was back home. I just put it on my still bleached ends, thinking I would go for a subtle rose gold look. Honestly, it was pretty damn pink. But after one wash it was so freaking cute.

Also, she’s right–that sh** is addicting because it just washes out. I’m sure it’s not doing wonders for my split ends., but now every time my hair just feels lame–I can just put that dye in and it’s all the sudden a new me! TBD if I’ll venture into other more bold colors, but I gotta feeling during my next quarter-life crisis I’ll find myself in the hair-dye aisle of Target.

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.