Intimate Encounters: Silk and Lace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

When I was a sophomore, I went on this lingerie kick. Spent every dollar I made on 
anything I could get my hands on. Corsets, garters, thigh highs, teddies, babydolls, 
matching bra and panty sets. I even caved and bought crotchless panties (mistake) and 
nipple tassels (bigger mistake). I don’t know why. I was single at the time. It’s not like I 
had someone to impress. I just thought it would be really sexy to get a collection going. 
It was a little ridiculous. My friends would come try on my corsets and start planning 
their Halloween costumes for the following year. I was so proud of myself. Gemma, 
lingerie collector! It sounded like an official title. And then, the day came. I was finally 
going to be able to use one of my getups.
I was going out to dinner with this guy and I was pretty sure we’d be headed back to his 
place afterwards. I spent hours pouring over my collection, deciding on the perfect 
ensemble. I settled on black thigh highs, a matching red lace bra and panty set, and a 
white garter. I looked killer. I accented my cleavage with some bronzer and threw on a 
dress. It wasn’t until I caught myself in the reflection of a car window at the restaurant’s 
parking lot that I realized my dress was completely see through. The guy hadn’t noticed, 
but as soon as we walked into the restaurant I saw the hostess’s eyes widen. Please, 
please, please don’t kick us out. I know I look so ratchet right now. Please, please, 
please. She must have smelled the fear wafting off of me because she took us to our 
table without a word. Well, I was so nervous I blew dinner and he dropped me off 
without so much as a “See you around.” I was mortified.
Skip ahead to junior year. I start dating this guy. I knew to avoid the lingerie under real 
clothing, so I went over to his place one night and wore another similar ensemble under 
a long coat. I took it off as soon as I walked in the door. He looked at me over his 
glasses and said, “Really? You’re in the arts and that’s as creative as you can get?” I 
was even more mortified than the last time! He laughed and scooped me into his arms 
and kissed my nose. “Gemma. You don’t need that. I just want you.” I melted. And later 
that night as we were brushing our teeth, stealing glimpses at each other in the mirror, 
my hair a complete disaster, I realized that no matter what marketing departments want 
us to believe, we really just crave each other. Not some flimsy piece of fabric.
I still have my collection and I pull it out from time to time. Sometimes I’ll wear the 
corsets if I’m feeling risqué. But honestly, I’m at my best in Hanes cotton underwear and 
an oversized sleepy shirt.
Xx, Gemma

*Need hooking-up advice but you can’t ask anyone you know? Ask Gemma

Want more Gemma? Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Image: 1

Intimate Encounters is a new column I'll be writing for Her Campus ND and I decided to become a part of it because I want people (especially women) to start feeling comfortable with their sex life. I’m not here to lecture, preach, or tell you that everything that I have done or will do in my sex life is the right or wrong thing to do. I’m going to talk about mistakes that I’ve made, amazing experiences that I’ve had, firsts (a lot of firsts), funny stories, awkward moments, and people that have made a difference in the woman I’ve become. Hopefully I’ll also be able to answer any questions you might have-- seriously, no shame.