International Day of the Girl: A Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The statistics are shocking: Every five minutes, a girl dies as a result of violence. One in four girls gets married as a child. Girls are twice as likely to become infected with HIV. Girls around the world are fighting for their freedom every day, so in 2011 the United Nations declared October 11 as International Day of the Girl. The goal was to help girls achieve their full potential and experience leadership. It’s a day when activists unite to discuss and take action to improve the rights of girls around the world. In case you missed this incredible day’s events and news, we’ve got it covered for you.

Beyoncé Dropped An Inspirational Video

In my opinion, the highlight of the day was this video Queen B shared. The video showcases a group of young girls lip syncing her song “Freedom” and it’s truly something spectacular. She directed fans to the #FreedomForGirls campaign, aimed at promoting education and ending violence. Go B, go girls, go freedom!

“Fearless Girl” Statue Replica Appeared in Paris

Kristen Visbal’s work, which appeared in front of the Wall Street Bull in March, showed up in Paris on Wednesday. The artist held a panel discussion for a few young female ambassadors on the Day of the Girl as well. A scan was taken of the original statue so a miniature 3-D replica could be made. Talk about a GirlBoss!

Facebook Launched a Profile Picture Frame

Facebook recognizes some pretty cool holidays and events through profile pictures, and it was a step for womankind when they launched a frame for Day of the Girl. When users logged on Wednesday, they were prompted with a notification that read, “Today’s Girls, Tomorrow’s Leaders”. It explained the day and provided the option to add the frame. So cool…

Kellogg Changes Advertising to Reflect Day of the Girl

Women account for 85% of purchases but many women believe advertisers don’t understand them. To address the issue, Kellogg joined #SeeHer through the ANA AFE, which is a movement to create accurate portrayals of women in the media. Kellogg is aiming to advertise that reflects authenticity and gender equality. Hey, we have to start somewhere!

Malala Yousafzai’s First Day of College

Five years to the day after she was shot by a Taliban gunman, Malala started her college career. She tweeted: “5 years ago, I was shot in an attempt to stop me from speaking out for girls’ education. Today, I attend my first lectures at Oxford”. The brave 20-year-old continues to make her mark by championing education for girls on the national stage. She is truly such an inspirational young woman.

It’s wonderful that we have a day to promote education, equality, and violence prevention for young women across the globe. However, in my opinion, this should be a primary focus for our world each and every day. I hope you were just as inspired by all of these stories as I was. Here’s to girl power!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Well hi there! My name is Madelyn, and I'm a freshman at the University of Notre Dame majoring in Pre-Medicine and Romance Languages. I'm a lover of all things fashion and beauty, and it's my dream to intern with a magazine one day. You can catch me perusing Vogue, singing in the Opera, dancing with Troop ND, boxing for exercise, and obsessing over anything pink. I hope you can find something lovely in my articles that sticks with you! Cheers!! XO