Hail to the Chief: Meet EIC Rebecca Rogalski ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Meet Rebecca Rogalski, the ambitious, fun, and fascinating new Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Notre Dame! While she wows us with her articles throughout the year, its time to turn the spotlight on the newly crowned leader. Always up for a challenge, Rebs took the time to answer all the hard-hitting questions.

Get to know the new editor-in-chief of Her Campus Notre Dame!

The Basics

Name: Rebecca Rogalski

Hometown: Western Springs, IL

Major: Film, Television, and Theatre (concentration in Television) with a double minor in Journalism, Ethics, Democracy and Business-Economics (It’s a mouthful, I know.)

Dorm: Off-Campus (formerly a Pasquerilla East Pyro)

Relationship status: Single

Journalistic Dreaming

First, let’s get down to business. What made you want to be the EIC for Her Campus Notre Dame?

I didn’t join HCND thinking that I would ever assume the role of EIC. It was the first organization I became a part of after transferring from Mizzou, and since I knew I loved sports writing and they had a position open for that, I figured I should give it a shot! Haven’t regretted it once since.

Do you have any plans for Her Campus Notre Dame under your reign?

I don’t want to spoil anything, but I have tons of fun and exciting ideas planned for this upcoming school year! I really want to put HCND on the map this year and make sure we are a recognized and respected writing organization on this campus. Also, I’ve got some event plans up my sleeves as well. (:

If you could have any job in the world, what would it be and why?

I’ve been pursuing a career in sports broadcast journalism ever since the sixth grade. I went to my first ND game in ’06, and after seeing ESPN’s College Gameday for the first time, I knew I wanted to be a sports reporter/analyst. If given the opportunity, I would love to join the College Gameday crew in the future as a sideline reporter/anchor. I’d get to travel the country, meet coaches and athletes, and cover the game that I love most from the best seat in the house – the sidelines.

If you could pick three words to describe yourself, what would they be?

Confident, Passionate, and Determined.

Who is your role model?

My mother and Samantha Ponder. My mom is seriously the most amazing woman on this planet. She is compassionate, selfless, and always looking to serve others. Sam Ponder is my other role model not only because she has my dream job, but also because she is the funniest human being ever (She made an Instagram for her baby daughter Scout Ponder and I constantly pee my pants laughing at her witty comments). She is also very in touch with her faith, which is something I respect and hope to keep strong throughout my career.

Bleeding Blue and Gold

What is your favorite part about ND? How does it compare with the school you transferred from?

My favorite part about ND is the community. After being at a school where Greek life was so prevalent, it’s so nice to be a part of a community where everyone is looking out for one another. We have dorms that separate us, but we are all similar in the fact that we chose Notre Dame. Everyone wants to help you and you can always find someone to talk to when you need them.

What is your favorite SB bar and your drink of choice? Explain why.

Oh man. I know the older crowd might think I’m crazy, but I really love CJ’s! Though I could do without the $5 cover (I prefer to ball on a budget), I always seem to have a great time dancing the night away with my friends.

Though it’s not at the same place, my drink of choice is a Red Ruby Martini from Bar Louie’s. It mixes my three favorite things – ruby red vodka, prosecco, and Saint Germain – to create a delicious concoction.

Highlights and lowlights of your time on campus. (Be serious. When did you peak. What was your lowest point.)

I really hope I haven’t peaked yet! I must say that my Spring break junior year was pretty incredible. I was invited to visit ESPN’s campus in Bristol, CT and interview for an internship. There, I met and networked with several media personnel/athletes, including Mike Golic, Adam Schefter, Matt Leinart, Stephen A. Smith, Sage Steele and Hannah Storm. I was on cloud-nine the whole time.

My lowest point was definitely first semester of junior year. It was hard to balance myself emotionally, socially, and academically, but I pushed through and ended up triumphant at the end of that semester. Everyone goes through a rough patch in college, and this was definitely mine that fortunately had a great ending.

You graduate in a year. Do you have anything you’re dying to do before you get your diploma?

Sideline report for a Notre Dame football or basketball game. This is my dream, remember?

Who is your favorite roommate? (Just kidding)

You can’t make me choose! Each of them are the reason I am the bubbly, energetic person I am today. I love Kelsey Collett, Ellen O’Brien, and Angela Reilly all the same. (:

Up Close and Personal

What are you looking for in a man? Where have you decided is the best place to look?

I hope this doesn’t sound silly, but I need a man with PASSION. He needs to know what he wants, and be actively pursuing his dreams. In addition, he needs to be smart, funny, athletic — (I mean I love sports, so, duh) —  and an all around classy gentleman. If you get to know me through a date rather than a night out at the bar and if you like to ballroom dance, (I am dead serious about this one), call me.

The best place to look is in a sober environment, such as classes, clubs, and even the dining hall! Though you’ll feel vulnerable at first, I promise you it’ll be for the better in the long run.

Describe your dream date.

My dream date would without a doubt be a day at the beach. We’d get there bright and early to see the sun rise and stay until the sun sets. Then, we’d cap off the evening with dinner at an ocean-front fine-dining restaurant at night. It would just be perfect in so many ways.

What is a secret talent of yours?

I can mimick a crying baby. No joke. It’s absolutely the creepiest thing you will ever hear, but definitely a talent that I will boast about until I die.

What’s one beauty item you can’t live without?

My Clinique chubby stick in super strawberry! I never feel completely ready for my day without it. *smacks lips and smiles* (:

Describe your ultimate fast food order.

You just want me to speak about my Taco Bell obsession…

I’d stroll into Taco Bell and order myself two Crunchwrap Supremes (add Guac please). I’d probably get a soft-shell taco next (hold the hot sauce, homies), then order a side of Cinna-Twists and a Sierra Mist to top it all off. It doesn’t get much better than that.

If you had to choose one sport to watch for the rest of your life, which would it be? What team would you root for?

Football 100% (specifically college football). I feel that the passion in football is so intense at every level, and you’re always playing for more than just the game.

Because I’ve been a Notre Dame fan my whole life, I’d have to say ND. However, Oregon is my second favorite team to root for. I appreciate their hustle (literally in terms of their offense and figuratively in term of their athletic apparel).

What is your secret pump-up song? (Used for pregames, getting pretty, and making you feel like a bad b***h)

Before reporting, I like to practice my speech and pump myself up by rapping the second verse of “Paradise (Extended)” by Big Sean. I feel so BA spitting the track.

What qualities do you look for most in a friend?

Loyalty. Any friend of mine knows that I will be there for you wherever, whenever and if you’re there for me to, then we’ll likely get along. I also look for people who are ambitious, confident, and energetic.

What is your life motto?

I don’t have one specific motto, rather a list of quotes that I try to live by:

“Don’t be a spectator. Don’t let life pass you by.” – Lou Holtz

“In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” -Coco Chanel

“When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them.” -Marilyn Monroe

“If you can’t think of anything nice to say, you’re not thinking hard enough.” – Kid President

Thanks so much for the interview, Rebecca!

Stay tuned to see what Rebecca will accomplish next!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu or Katrina Linden at klinden1@nd.edu.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: provided by interviewee

Kelsey Collett is a junior at the University of Notre Dame, majoring in Marketing and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from being a writer for HCND, she is a distance runner, an avid reader and a caffeine addict. Her strengths are writing about books, pulling all-nighters, and sarcastic comments. If you like what you read, feel free to follow her on twitter at @kelsey_collett!