Google: Our World’s Tech Superhero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

With the release of the Google Glass this week into the general public for sale, Google is attempting to make huge strides into conquering the technology market. While trying to look forward into the future, Google wants to try and solve the world’s problems one technological advancement at a time.

Google has become known for their notorious side projects, like Google Glass, besides providing the internet service that we all know and love. And it seems that with every passing day, Google is coming up with more and more products to innovate our everyday world outside the internet.

The most well known of these projects currently is Google Glass. For those who are unfamiliar with this device, Google Glass serves as a wearable computer with an optical head-mounted display, which performs as a smartphone-like hands-free format. This device is automated by the internet via natural language voice commands.

Google Glass features: a touchpad that essentially controls the device through a timeline-like interface displayed on the glass screen, a camera that has the ability to take photos and record video, and an LED illuminated display that reflects light and effectively shows the information you are seeking at any given moment.

After the recent acquisition of a number of different robot-creating companies, Google now seeks to build a bot to perform normal human tasks. They are trying to create robots that can complete tasks around the home and office, like making coffee or copies, which would allow for humans to have greater flexibility and focus on higher-level duties.

If you visit Google’s headquarters in Silicon Valley, you would be astounded to see cars moving around the campus without any drivers to be seen. These driverless cars are one of the major technological innovations that the Google geniuses have recently come up with.

Unfortunately, the cars exist more as an engineering problem more than actual transportation units, but in the future, Google plans for them to be. The company, that currently provides directions and street level data for all locations, plans to give you a car to take you exactly to these locations. As a funding tool, Google plans on using location-based ads for the businesses these cars will pass on the way.

One of the crazier projects that Google is endeavoring in is setting up an infrastructure to leave Earth’s atmosphere without the use of rockets and space ships. The company that once just served as an internet database wants to get you to space by the use of an elevator. With much speculation into this topic, many people predict that we could have such lifts by Google or a number of different organizations that are operational in less than a decade.

Another one of the more public projects that Google has invested in is home automation, especially in the temperature-control market. Earlier this year, Google acquired the company Nest, which is a home thermostat that learns through smart technology how to make your home more comfortable and save you on energy bills. This project is already being implemented into the homes of some customers, and the waiting list for the next bath is growing by the minute.

Whether it be from the prescription drug industry to space exploration, Google wants to stretch it’s technological umbrella to cover as much of the world as possible. Through using it’s already powerful operating systems, Google is trying to create a better world for everyone through automation to give increased flexibility to humans. Google is essentially attempting to become the superhero that the world didn’t know it even needed. 

For more colliegette journalism, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Photos 12345