bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gimme That Butt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Thanks to JLo and Beyonce, many of us ladies want a sculpted, firm, round butt. As a spin instructor, I always spend a little extra time working my butt after a long workout sitting and standing over the bike. Here are my favorite (some expected, some surprising) ways to work that butt.

1. Squats

You can never do too many squats. Variation will prevent boredom and will encourage you to put a little “elbow grease” into each and every squat, for maximum butt-toning results. Try sumo-squats (stand with your feet 2-3 feet apart, toes pointed outward.) Try resting hand weights on your shoulders to challenge your glutes and thighs. Try Jump Squats (squatting and releasing into a jump.) The more variation, the quicker you will see results.

2. Lunges

Lunges are without a doubt my least favorite exercise. They require careful balance, concentrated leg strength, and absolute focus. To combat my distaste for them, I sneak them in between sets of arm exercises and ab exercises. Forward-and-back lunges are my favorite. Stand with your feet together. Step forward into a lunge with your right foot, after you come out of your front lunge, step back into a reverse lunge with that same right foot. Step back to the starting position, and do a front-then-back lunge with your left foot. Add hand weights if you are feeling strong and brave.

3. Sprinting

Sprinting has been called the “body-building” of running. Sprints – especially up moderate to steep hills – challenges your calves, thighs, and glutes. You’ll feel your glutes working as you sprint to the top. Try 20 seconds of sprinting, 60 seconds jogging or walking. Start with 16 minutes of this, (12 sprints, 12 recovery periods,) and work your way up.

4. Kick backs

Get into table-top position (hands and knees on the floor, back flat.) Kick your right leg back, straight out, pull it in. Kick it out slightly to the right. Pull it back in. Kick it out slightly to the left. Retract it once again. Repeat this sequence of 3 kicks 10 times. Switch legs.

5. Planks and side-planks with leg raises.

Work your glutes while toning your abs and arms in plank and side-plank positions. Go into your basic plank position (on your hands or your forearms.) Raise your right leg for 30 seconds. Lower it to the ground, and switch legs. In the side-plank position, raise your top leg for 15 seconds (these are more challenging.) Lower for 15. Repeat, and switch sides.

In between butt-sculpting exercises, make sure to drink water, as most of these exercises will also increase your heart rate. Stretch your glute muscles in Runners’ Stretch position and by crossing one ankle onto the opposite knee while lowering into a squatting position. Best songs to play while working your butt: My Humps, Baby Got Back, and Bubble Butt.

Until next time, Namaste. (Shake that ass, girl.) 

Photos 1, 2, 3

Ayla Kinney

Notre Dame '13

.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.