Five Ways to Stay Cute in the Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Being born and raised in South Bend you would think that I’m used to the crazy weather by now right? Well it turns out that every time the weather changes around here, I’m still shocked. Especially when it’s cold. This morning as I was walking to my 8 am midterm in DeBart, I was not prepared for the blast of cold air that hit me as I left my dorm. While being cold is never fun, it allows for so many amazing outfit possibilities. With winter quickly approaching, it is essential to be prepared. Here are five foolproof ways to remain fashionable without sacrificing the comfort of warmth.

Tip 1: Layer, layer, layer!!

This is a great way to incorporate summery pieces into your fall wardrobe. Layer a light summer button down with a cozy sweater and a light jacket. You can even add a statement necklace to give your outfit that extra something special.

Tip 2: Invest in fun tights

I used to dread colder seasons because it meant that it was time to put the dresses and skirts away until spring. However, the right pair of tights can transform a dress or skirt into a warmer, more fall-appropriate outfit. I also love wearing a fun pair of tights with a sweater dress. It’s a mixture of warmth and comfort without sacrificing the freedom that comes with wearing a dress. Fun tights are also a mood booster under this Northern Indiana permacloud.

Tip 3: Wrap up with a scarf

Most people don’t take advantage of all of the amazing things that scarves have to offer. Not only do they keep your neck warm, but also pull an outfit together. They are also very versatile! I never knew that there were so many ways to tie a scarf until I saw this video. Some of them are tricky at first, but I guess that’s the beauty of having the capability to pause and rewind. I’ve learned that not all methods work for all scarves. Some work best with really long scarves and some work best with thicker ones.

Watch this video to learn some new tricks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYAEz777AU&feature=youtu.be

Tip 4: Take advantage of boots

One perk of boots is that there are so many kinds and they go with almost everything. I am always thankful for my rain boots while sloshing through campus and like to think that riding boots are like an extra shield for my feet and shins against the cold. Right now I really love the two-toned boot trend because it maximizes the amount of outfits that they can be worn with. These black and navy Tory Burch boots are gorgeous (if only they were more affordable) and who knew that it was acceptable to mix black and navy?

Tip 5: Rock your socks

A good pair of socks is essential to surviving in the chilly South Bend air. My toes are always the first part of my body to get cold, and once they’re cold it seems like the world is coming to an end. I don’t know about you, but having cold toes makes me miserable. One of my favorite parts of wearing boots is choosing socks to wear underneath them. Boot socks have to be tall enough so that you can avoid the annoying feeling of your sock falling off inside your shoe. While I usually have to wear thin socks under my boots, I love rocking a thick pair of fuzzy socks around my dorm room. Just remember to keep the toes warm, and everything else will fall into place.

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.