katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celeb: Katie Walsh ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Did you know: The equestrian team is going to regionals this week! Let’s be real, you didn’t even know that Notre Dame had an equestrian team—or what “equestrian” means for that matter. It’s competitive horseback riding, people, and this week I was lucky enough to sit down with one of the team’s co-captains, Katie Walsh, to discuss life on and off of the saddle.

Rapid Fire

Name: Katie Walsh

Hometown: Easton, CT

Year: Senior

Major: Finance

Dorm: BP, but off campus now

Extra-curriculars: Equestrian Team

Fun fact: I can solve a rubix cube

She-Wolf of Wall Street

What made you decided to declare finance as your major?

I’ve always really liked working with numbers and once I started exploring majors within Mendoza, I knew finance was definitely the most interesting subject with the most diverse career opportunities after graduation for me.

Do you find finance to be a mostly male-dominated major? How has this affected you?

I think there is a slightly lower percentage of girls in finance, but I have never really noticed it too much.  This year I have one class that sometimes only has 5-10 girls out of 35, but it’s the first time I’ve felt really outnumbered.  I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all!

Do you feel like Mendoza is more or less cut-throat than other colleges at Notre Dame?

I think ambitious is the right word here.  Business majors are really driven and want to succeed in whatever major/job they choose and will work really hard to do well.  We have to do a lot of group work so you learn early on to work together, not against each other.

Be honest, are the rumors true? Do Mendoza students really drink more than they study?

“Work hard; play hard” is a fair motto…

Back in the Saddle

When and how did you begin your career in horseback riding?

A family that is friends with ours had a daughter who rode competitively, and they convinced my parents to let me do a week of summer camp when I was little.  After that I was hooked and never stopped.

Why did you decide to join the equestrian team at Notre Dame?

Throughout high school I had always had my own horse and rode competitively, so I was used to riding regularly and loved competing.  I had some older friends who were on their college teams so I thought I’d like to be on the team here.

How does it differ from your riding experience outside of college?

It’s definitely really different.  For starters: outside of college, riding is always an individual sport, so it’s really fun to have friends to root for and be part of a team. Even when I don’t have the best day, it’s great to celebrate the successes of other teammates and the team overall.  Also, you never ride a horse of your own.  Instead you ride a horse provided by the school hosting the competition, which means you have to adapt quickly, which can lead to some interesting stories.

You’ve been named the “cacchione” rider of your region for four years in a row now. Can you explain what that means?

It basically just means that I have been the rider with the most points in our region of 10-12 schools in the open (or highest) division each year, which automatically qualifies me for the Cacchione Cup with the 37 other high point regional riders from around the country.  It’s really exciting to be able to go to nationals each year and represent ND!

Pros and cons of being a “halflete,” or club sport athlete, at Notre Dame?

Pros: I get the benefit of being able to continue to ride throughout college and compete in a team environment, but less of the intense time commitment that the varsity athletes have.  We also have more of a say in our practice schedule and can have some more fun and relaxed riding too, instead of constantly pushing ourselves. 

Con: it’d be pretty cool to get all of the athlete issued gear…

F.A.Q.s

What did you do for spring break?

I went to visit one of my friends who is living in Wellington, Florida for the winter at the biggest horse show in the US, called W.E.F. (Winter Equestrian Festival).  Not really the typical spring break, but I got a healthy dose of hanging at the pool, seeing my friends, and watching some great competition. 

What’s on your iTunes recently played list?

Taylor Swift shuffle, Pompeii by Bastile, Volcano Choir by Byegone, and assorted country stuff (Luke Bryan, Carrie Underwood, etc.).

Any exciting post-grad plans?

I start working at the end of June, so probably trying to squeeze in some good home time and travelling before I leave!  I’m in a rotational program so I find out where I start working during May, so possibly road tripping to move into wherever I may end up. 

Thanks Katie!

For more on Katie and other Notre Dame horseback riders, follow the equestrian team’s twitter account @ND_Equestrian! Stay tuned for results from Regionals and Zones this coming week!

XO, HCND

For more student profiles and journalism, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!