From California to Crowley Hall: Meet Morgan Rice ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Name: Morgan Rice 

Year: Junior 

Major(s): Music—Vocal Performance; Marketing 

Dorm: Lewis 

Hometown: Westlake Village, CA 

Relationship Status: In a relationship ;) 

What’s it like having two majors that are so different from each other? What do you like about each of them?

I really enjoy that my majors are so different—I have so many different interests, and this way I can involve myself in all my interests. I love my music major because I love to sing and perform, and this major helps me to develop as a singer, which is something I value a lot. I also love my Marketing major, as I think the way that companies market to consumers and how consumers react and behave in the realm of certain marketing strategies is extremely interesting. 

Any cool jobs/internships/programs? 

I interned for a company called Sencit Music, a music production and licensing company for theatrical movie trailers—that was fun. This summer I am going to Italy for a vocal summer program! 

Do you know what you want to do after college? 

I plan on working in marketing for a year or two after graduation, and then hopefully going to graduate school for Music. 

Tell us a little bit about PEMCo. 

PEMCo is the only completely student run Musical Theater company on campus! We put on a fall musical, a spring main stage musical, and a Revue in the spring as well. 

Congratulations on being selected as a PEMCo producer from the 2016-2017 year! What is involved in that position? 

Thank you! As the Audience Services Manager, I take care of all of the marketing and social media for PEMCo, so if you see posters, videos, promotional photos, programs or any social media posts, that’s me! (Shameless plug: follow us on Twitter: @pemusicalco, Instagram: @pemusicalco, and Facebook: Pasquerilla East Musical Company). I also do any customer relations work, like finding ticket takers and ushers, as well as people to film the shows (so if you want to get involved, contact me!). Also, the other three producers and I choose the directors and the PEMCo season for the upcoming year. 

What are your favorite PEMCo moments/past roles? 

I had so much fun playing Rapunzel in Into the Woods and Miss Flannery in Thoroughly Modern Millie! A highlight was definitely getting to tap dance for “Forget About the Boy” in Millie. 

Besides PEMCo, what other activities/extracurriculars are you involved in at ND? 

I am in Collegium Musicum, a small chamber choir that focuses on a capella music from the Renaissance and 21st century. 

What’s living in California like? What’s the weather like? 

I definitely miss the California weather haha! California is a wonderful state—I love living there, the mountains are beautiful!  

Why ND?

I loved ND when I visited, and loved the people I met there. Also, ND gave me the ability to double major in music and business, which is something that was really important to me. 

How’s life in Lewis? 

I have made some of my best friends in Lewis, and have had a great three years living there. It will be bittersweet to move off campus next year. 

Fun Facts: 

Favorite TV show: Parks and Recreation 

Favorite musical: Literally all Sondheim musicals 

Dream roles: Christine Daae (Phantom of the Opera) 

North or South: NORTH

Spirit animal: according to the online quiz I just took, a butterfly 

Thanks for your time, Morgan!!

Morgan and me!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images provided by interviewee

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.