British TV Shows That You Will Get Emotionally Attached To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

British television shows are a bit of a weakness of mine. The humor is different, yet hilarious. The vernacular is intriguing, yet refreshing. Overall, it’s a great time. So, to spread the joy, I’ve listed a few of my favorite shows that I have loved with every bit of my heart. Allons-y!

Dinner Date

This show has a basic premise: the main person is presented with 5 menus, of which they blindly choose who they are going to go on dates with, simply based on the food displayed in the menus. That person then goes on 3 blind dates where the dates have to cook the meals, and it’s a great deal of fun. The people can often be a bit wonky, but that’s the fun of it.

Great British Bake Off

Oh, how the world was blessed when this show was put on Netflix. It’s a basic competition set up where there’s a winner and a loser this week – but there’s much more comradery between the competitors, which just doesn’t happen in American competition shows. It’s strangely addicting, so make sure you set aside a substantial amount of time for this one.

Come Dine With Me

The narrator is the BEST part of this show, I kid you not. His commentary is witty and funny and just so so good. Essentially, four people host a dinner party for three strangers at their house and they rate each other on how good the night was. Chaos ensues, the narrator still proves to be amazing, and the winner wins 1,000 pounds – you really can’t go wrong. (Again, you are susceptible to binge watching)

Big Fat Quiz of the Year

Once you watch one, you gotta watch them all. It’s basically a big trivia game between teams, but the banter between each of the contestants is just pure gold. Jimmy Carr is always the host, which is great fun, and there are contestants that go on the quiz often and you love them. There are also special guest contestants, which have included Chelsea Peretti and Russell Brand. Each episode is an hour and a half, so be wise when choosing what to watch.

Mock the Week

Now, this is a bit more political, but the bit called ‘Scenes We’d Like to See’ is quite amazing. The comedians are given a prompt such as “Unlikely Lines from the Final Harry Potter Book” and they come up with answers on the spot. It’s very similar to the Scenes From A Hat bit that Whose Line is It Anyway does – so it’s just pure improv and it’s quite amazing how they can come up with this material on the spot. I have found myself binge-watching this out of nowhere, and before you know it, it’s 3am and you’ve done nothing. You should still watch it though.

Sherlock (BBC)

This has become an international phenomenon – whether it be Benedict Cumberbatch or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories, we will never know – but nevertheless, it is still amazing. There are three episodes in each season, however, the episodes are an hour and a half long – so it’s basically the length of a movie. The plot is addictive, and some episodes keep you guessing until the end. Highly highly recommend.

Doctor Who

I had to put this one because it’s a classic. Whether it’s the original series or the modern revival, both are fantastic (which happens to be the Ninth Doctor’s catchphrase – coincidence? I think not). You do not have to be a sci-fi nerd to love this show, but if you are, even better!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1234567

Shelly Hank

Notre Dame '19

Shelly (Noun) (pronounced shell-ee) Definition: Notre Dame Grad #LyonsLove, Cat Lady, Hockey Enthusiast, and Taylor Swift disciple.