Brace Yourself: Winter Braids are Coming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

A few years ago, my younger sister discovered braiding tutorials on YouTube and was absolutely hooked. She would spend hours learning intricate braids and always found willing volunteers. Me? If I so much as put a hairclip between my tresses, I consider that an effort to do something with my hair other than setting it free for the rest of the day. However, my recent discovery of Pinterest helped me rediscover the beauty my younger sister found in this elegant technique.

I know, with winter coming, the last thing anyone does is worry about their appearance under three layers of clothing, much less their hair. However, I’ve discovered that an intricate hairstyle can really brighten the day, and can make you a stand out in the crowd. Whether, it’s for an SYR, a formal event, or any day, these elegant styles are both beautiful and worth the extra time and effort.

Classic French braid

This braid is perfect for most days. I love it because, when done properly, it’s a pretty sturdy braid and you usually don’t get randomn hairs flying around your face. My sister made a variation in the braiding in this  photo, but this simple, easy to do, five minute tutorial is pretty good.

Bonus: this style also looks really great with temporary hair dye. Grab a bottle of any color hair dye at your local pharmacy when you’re feeling really bold and I guarantee you’ll make an entrance!

Heart Braid

When I first heard of this style, I couldn’t actually believe it was possible. It’s actually really simple. It’s a beautiful, elegant design and I highly recommend it, especially for dates and formal evening ocassions.

Waterfall braid

Also a very romantic braid, this style is definately for people who, like me, prefer their hair as lose as possible while still trying to get a new twist. This braid looks even better if you curl your hair. Though it’s more of a spring or summer design, its beauty defies season. The following tutorial is a pretty good way to start. 

Short hair braids

I recently cut my long hair and thought that that would be the end of my braiding days. However, my sister pointed out that there are tons of ways you can short hair. It just takes a bit of creativity.

The advantage of braiding with short hair is that, unlike with long hair, it’s easier to see what you’re doing and the probability of tangling your hair is lower. Of the two designs below, one is a short hair variation of the waterfall braid, while the following two are grecian hair braid updoes that are especially popular for religious events (baptisms, weddings, etc.) or even that upcoming formal.

Major shoutout to my uber talented younger sister for inspiring this article, and hope you guys enjoy the styles! 

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images 1, 2, and 3 provided by author, 4,5,6,7

I'm a junior in Pasquerilla East Hall and am majoring in PLS and Political Science. I hail from Bayamon, Puerto Rico and as a result I wholeheartedly believe that depictions of Hell should involve snow instead of heat. In my free time I write, watch shows like Doctor Who/Steven Universe, read as many articles from EveryDay Feminism as humanly possible, and binge Nostalgia Chick on youtube.