Basic Game Day Apparel 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Whether you’re a senior or a first year, you’ve likely been to a football game. We all know that there are some basic game day outfits that you’ll see at least a dozen girls wearing on any given game day. Now, I’m not trying to say that there’s anything wrong with being basic by any means. Just as certain Starbucks drinks have been deemed “basic” because they’re good, these game day outfits have become basic because they’re cute, comfy, or otherwise awesome.

1. The Shirt

This one is a given, but it isn’t any less basic because it’s university-sponsored. The Shirt Project is an actual club you can join and if you can’t tell by the numerous framed shirts in La Fun, it’s a pretty big deal. The Shirt even has it’s own website. Regardless, because it is such a common theme on game day, The Shirt has made the list of basic game day apparel. No matter how you wear it, the shirt is a super easy outfit. Throw it on with leggings, shorts, or jeans and you’re good to go. Some are strict, wear-The-Shirt-For-Every-Game people, but even if you aren’t, whenever you wear it, you can twin with thousands of your closest friends! 

2. Jerseys

Clearly, my job would be poorly done if I didn’t acknowledge the hundreds of football jerseys around campus on those fall Saturdays. Did Brian Kelly add some girls to the roster? If I wear my jersey for enough games, can I be the next Brandon Wimbush? It doesn’t matter if your jersey hasn’t been a starter’s jersey for 5 years. Nor does it matter if you wear pants with your jersey. You could walk around in a #9 jersey and spandex on game day and it will be totally expected. 

3. Metallic Clothing

The gold metallic leggings have been a thing for as long as I can recall, but recently, I’ve seen the assortment of metallic clothing expand dramatically. I’ve seen gold skirts, sports bras, and green and navy metallics too. Wear as much metallic clothing as your heart desires. After all, the Notre Dame Gold Gang actually runs around campus in gold morphsuits, so you’ll be in good company. Hats off to them. Go Irish.

4. Cheer Skirts

This trend is super cute! I don’t know where everyone gets the skirts, but they’re EVERYWHERE. I got mine from a thrift store and it’s a super easy game day outfit because you can throw on a white tee and some sneakers and you look SUPER SPIRITED. It’s kind of like dressing up like a cheerleader for Halloween, but no one gives you candy. 

5. Fanny Packs

Fanny packs are a crucial part of a game day outfit. So many girls dorms have gotten them as part of dorm apparel, but they sell some really cute ones on Amazon too! You’ll have easy access to your phone, money and ID, PLUS you can carry snacks, a portable charger and gum. Last week, I was sick for the game, so I brought along some cold medicine. The possibilities are endless, truly.

Game day is such a fun part of the Notre Dame experience and sometimes, game day outfits are half of the fun! So whether you wear The Shirt or a cheer skirt to our next games, be prepared to cheer your heart out for the Irish. Win or lose, love thee, Notre Dame!

Images: 1 (provided by author), 2 (provided by author), 3, 4, 5.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

I'm a junior studying political science and Spanish at the University of Notre Dame. I'm from Grand Rapids, Michigan and enjoy hot yoga, coffee dates and Bath and Body Works candles.