danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ask a Senior: Work It Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Q: What can you tell me about working on campus? What are good options for first year students?

(Shout out to all my friends reading this who tell me I work too much.)

Freshman year is a lot to adjust to. I didn’t get involved in anything my first year at Notre Dame. I was terrified of over-exerting myself, but like any true overscheduled, overachieving Domer, I was miserable not having a million activities and jobs. Once sophomore year rolled around, I wasted no time in finding two campus jobs and signing up for about twelve club listservs. In the fall semester of this past year, I held three campus jobs and one freelance position. Needless to say, I can tell you about working on campus. *I still think it’s best to try to give yourself a few months to adjust to college life and maybe take up a job second semester instead of right away.

My first suggestion is to look at the Job Board on insideND. Different offices and programs around campus post their job openings for students which can range from research assistant to office assistant to more specialized positions for media. I found two of my jobs here – one as an office assistant in Main Building and another as a videographer in the Basilica. If you don’t want to sit behind a desk, LaFun and the dining halls are almost always hiring students. The dining hall gig seems pretty great! (Just ask my fellow Campus Coordinator, Katrina!) Other options include working for RecSports in Rolfs or the Rock, making calls for Donor Relations, lifeguarding at the Lakes or the rec centers on campus, or giving tours for the Eck Visitor Center or Admissions (like HCND writer, Maria). Doing research for a professor is pretty typical. It’s a great way to dive into your field and to get to know someone who has been through the same professional hurdles you may have to overcome someday. 

I recommend something with flexible hours; while everyone on campus is aware of the fact that the University wouldn’t exist without the students, it’s easy to get caught up in the business side of the Notre Dame. People who work for ND get caught up in their jobs just like everybody else. Having something with flexibility that allows you to call in a sub at the last minute or take a sick day will make your first year a lot easier. Be honest with your employer – if you’re behind on your work, need a tutor, or have to take the afternoon off to study for an exam, let them know as soon as possible. Being open with your supervisor will let him or her know you are mature and responsible, and can be trusted with more serious projects. 

Q: For the swimming test, do I just wear a bikini or do I need a one-piece bathing suit? (lol at myself here, but I’m genuinely curious)

The swim test is really not a big deal, whether or not you can swim. Wear what you can swim in and I guarantee you won’t be the only one wearing it. If you only have a bikini, no one is going to hold it against you. The point is that you can get across the pool. It’s University policy that students be able to swim, because of the Lakes and whatnot. When I was a freshman, you didn’t have to take the swim test if you couldn’t swim; you could fill out a form and you were automatically placed in swim lessons for your first two PE units. But I’m not sure you can do that anymore because they did the thing with PE? Is it still required? If it’s not, y’all are missing out. Gym class was great. 

Go Irish! HCNDXO

Got a question for an ND senior? Ask hereFollow HCND on Twitter and Instagram (@hercampusnotredame), and like us on Facebook

Images provided by author 

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!