This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ll go on record saying Pumpkin Spice Lattes, despite the hype, are not God’s gift to the Starbuck’s menu. I’ve tried them, and they’re not the worst things ever, but they’re over sweetened and overrated. A lot of so-called basic bitches love them though. No tea, no shade–I just would rather get something else. For the slightly less basic bitch, here are some other drinks from Starbucks to satisfy that bizarre need for fall “flavor”.

1. Regular Coffee with 1 pump of Pumpkin Spice Syrup

This is the go-to option for me, because I don’t really hate the taste of the Pumpkin Spice in PSLs, I just hate the fact that it has what seems like 10 pumps of syrup in there and doesn’t taste like coffee anymore. My solution for years has been  to order my regular black coffee, then ask them to put one pump of Pumpkin Spice at the bottom. If you’re one of those coffee drinkers who doesn’t actually like coffee, you can ask them to put as many as you want in. Since it’s kind of a creamy syrup, it’s pretty much like putting creamer into your coffee. Given the unseasonably warm fall, go ahead and do the same thing with iced coffee. Pumpkin and ice? Sure, why not.

2. Double Latte with One Pump of Caramel and One Pump of Cinnamon Dulce

A friend showed me this, and it’s pretty good. Pretty much tastes like a Snickerdoodle melted into a cup. Again, I just do one pump of each and double espresso because your girl needs her caffeine. Most of the time I sub-out for a non dairy option too, because once upon a time I read some *disturbing* facts about dairy that I can no longer forget.

3. Maple Pecan Latte

Dare to be different ladies. The Maple Pecan Latte is new to the Starbuck’s fall line up this year, and while I haven’t had it yet, I did get one pump of syrup in my Grande Pike Place and was not disappointed. Again, you can customize the milk option and number of pumps too.

4. Cappuccino with Cinnamon Sprinkled on Top

Sometimes I just crave a nice dry cappuccino, and what the heck, it’s fall, so I’ll sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the frothed milk. Normally you sprinkle cocoa on top, but this just makes more sense given the season. It’s the perfect hint of spice without making the whole drink taste like a pumpkin pie.

5. Coffee with Whipped Cream, Caramel Drizzle, and Cinnamon

I love coffee and I love Starbucks’ whipped cream. When I’m feeling like treating myself, I ask them to put whipped cream on top and drizzle it with caramel, then go over and poor cinnamon on top. I used to ask for the chestnut praline topping instead of cinnamon, but sadly that’s gone now. For coffee lovers, you get all of the goodness of a sweet Starbucks drink for the first few sips, but then you get to enjoy the black coffee at the bottom. It’s perfect when I just want a couple sips of something sweet, but not an entire sugary drink.

Again, no shade to the PSL or it’s fans, but there are just so many other options. These are just the ones I personally recommend, but you should experiment for yourself. You’ll probably catch me with that first option at least once a week this fall.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.