5 Reasons to Love Fall in South Bend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

1. The campus is BEAUTIFUL

If you have never been to campus during the fall, then you will be in for a tremendous treat very soon! As the leaves change and fall onto God Quad, you won’t be able to resist snapping a few dome pictures every time you pass by. Your Instagram feed will suddenly be filled with beautiful pictures of the campus transforming from summer to winter.

If you are from a place that doesn’t experience changing seasons, prepare yourself for the ever-changing weather of South Bend, Indiana. (Since you probably have already figured out that the weather can change over 20 degrees from morning to afternoon, dress accordingly!)

2. Breaking out the fall wardrobe

Speaking of “dressing accordingly,” another fantastic thing about autumn in the Midwest is the transition from shorts, tanks, and flip-flops to leggings, boots, and vests.

Personally, I love making layered outfits perfect for the dynamic fall weather. The lack of humidity means that your hair might just cooperate to go along with your fabulous outfit. Get ready to bust out your favorite scarves, rain boots, combat boots, sweaters, and jackets because fall is well on its way!

3. Hallo-weekend

One of my favorite holidays to celebrate in college, besides Saint Patrick’s Day, is Halloween! This year Halloween falls on a Friday, so you won’t have to worry about climbing out of your loft to go to class after staying out late the night before. If you are a freshmen, get ready, because Hallo-weekend at Notre Dame is one of my favorite weekends of the year! It’s only about 6 weeks away and it falls on an away-game weekend, so start planning those group–themed outfits soon.

4. Pumpkin-flavored anything

Pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin pie– all wonderfully delicious treats that are exclusively present in the fall months.

Just consider that slice of pumpkin pie from the dining hall a way of celebrating fall! If you are staying on campus for the Thanksgiving holiday, you won’t be alone. The dining halls on campus serve a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner for you to share with your friends, dessert bar included. Is it an away game weekend? Plan a trip to the pumpkin patch with a few friends and take some cute fall weather pictures together. Carve your pumpkins and ask your rectress if you can put them outside of your dorm.

5. Fall Break

Unlike many other schools in the nation, Notre Dame gets an entire week off of classes in the middle of October.

While many look forward to going back home for the first time, some others that live too far from home to visit get to enjoy a peaceful campus for a week. Whether you are visiting family, going on a trip with your friends, or just hanging out on campus, Fall Break is always a nice hiatus from the stress of homework and daily college responsibilities.

Use Fall Break to recharge yourself in order to finish off the second half of the semester strong!

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Image 1