21 Questions with Tim Brazelton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Name: Tim Brazelton

Hometown: Robbinsville, NJ (Just outside of Princeton)

Major: Accounting and Economics

Major you wish you chose: Maybe International Economics, but I’m very happy with my choice of major.

Dorm Allegiance: Proud 4-year resident of Carroll Hall.

1.    Why do you think you’re being interviewed?

Based on past responses, I could first assume it’s because I’m moderately good-looking, or not unattractive at the very least.  Beyond that, it gets tough.  Maybe average-height accounting majors from Central New Jersey are all the rage right now?  That’d be cool.  I’ve never been trending before.

2. So…are you single? Or do you have someone willing to make the walk to Carroll for you?

Single, but I would like to make it known that the gentlemen of Classy Carroll Hall make it a point to take every opportunity to walk girls to and from Carroll. (Awww.)

3. What do you look for in a girl?

I don’t really think I have a type. The most important things are being spontaneous, outgoing, and trustworthy. Outside of that, I really like girls who are able to find fun in the littlest of things.

4. Idea for a great future date?

I’d love to take a girl on a date where we go kayaking or some similar water activity, bring our own lunch, and just enjoy a day on the water. There’s lots of time to talk, and it would be a fun day for both of us. It’d be super awkward as a first date if it wasn’t a fit, so it definitely wouldn’t be my idea of a good first date.

3.    All right enough of that stuff. Time for personal. Favorite Domer dead, alive, or fictional?

I’d probably have to go with Pat O’Brien’s portrayal of Knute Rockne in the iconic movie Knute Rockne, All-American.  Favorite quote: “Papa, don’t talk Norwegian, talk American.” (Yessss.) 

More seriously, I’d probably go with Lou Holtz.  The enthusiasm and passion he has is unbelievable.  I still get chills every time I hear that old speech of him saying, “let me see you show some disrespect for me when I’m nose on your nose.”  Honestly, just click here if you’re into YouTube.  

5.   Who would you nominate as an honorary Domer?

I would nominate my high school history teacher.  He was always a huge Notre Dame fan, but never had the chance to attend.  Since I went to a very new high school, I was the first person to be accepted to, or even apply to, Notre Dame.  He was so excited to know that I was even considering attending, and eventually convinced me to come to Notre Dame over my old dream school.  His love of Notre Dame makes him the first name that comes to mind when I hear the phrase “Honorary Domer.” 

6.    Post-grad plans?

Well, I just accepted a job offer to work at Abercrombie and Fitch’s Home Office after graduation.  So there’s that.  I don’t like to plan my career too far out, but I like the direction it’s headed right now and I plan to stay on it for the time being.

7. Do you think you will end up playing a lot of shirtless soccer?

Shirtless FIFA played: a not insignificant amount.

Shirtless actual soccer played: 0

8.    Fair enough. Highlight of your college career to date?

I really like living in Carroll, so most of my fond experiences have come from that.  Serving as Frosh-O Commissioner last year and as an RA this year have definitely been my favorite experiences.  My freshman year Frosh-O commissioner did so much to make me feel welcome at Notre Dame and in Carroll, and it was extremely gratifying to give that same experience to a new class of freshmen.  The same applies for being an RA.  It’s both exciting and scary that I am in the role of people I considered mentors during my time at Notre Dame, and that I can now serve that same role for those coming after me.  

That, or getting to tour Bon Jovi around campus when his family came here sophomore year.  Pretty close between those two.

9.    In 25 years, you will be:

Throwing a football back and forth with my kid on South Quad.  Everything else is negotiable.

10.    What did you think you were going to do freshman year and why?

I came into college with the assumption that my interests would change at some point, so I didn’t really know or pretend to know what I wanted to do coming in.  I knew I wanted to be in business, but thought I’d end up doing investment banking or something in finance, just like every other freshman business major.  Thankfully, I moved on from that phase.

11. If you could change one thing about ND what would it be?

I would require everyone to have some kind of Arts and Letters major, whether that means being enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters or adding something as a second major.  This may mean adding another year for undergraduates, but I think it would be completely worth the extra time spent in school, and victory laps are pretty cool anyway.  I love being in the business school, but having an economics major in addition to my accounting major has added a lot to my education.  I think requiring a second major for all students would make everyone’s education a lot more fulfilling and complete.

12. Favorite class you’ve taken?

There’s a few.  I’ll go in chronological order:

History of the Extraterrestrial Life Debate: My freshman year seminar on maybe the weirdest and coolest topic ever.  The professors were amazing and now I can talk about the plurality of worlds on command.  One of the professors invited us to his home for a chili dinner with his family, which was such a fun experience as a freshman.

Acting for the Non-Major with Bo Smith: Such an easy class, for starters.  It was nice for my workload, but also exciting because any work you did was because you really wanted to do it.  Every class was just people performing monologues or scenes, and then spending about half of each class working on the scene.  Bo (who was at one point the record holder for most money won on Jeopardy) and his co-professor Tom cared so much about us as students, and you could sense it in the way he commented on all of our work.  Also, the professors took each person in the class to dinner at the LaSalle Grille.

Political Theory with Dana Villa: Easily the best lecturer I’ve had while at Notre Dame, so it was real pleasure to take a class with him.

Econometrics with Andreas Hagemann: Such a challenging class, but it was a whole new perspective on economics and such a great skill to learn.  Probably the class I’ll use the most after graduation.

13. Worst?

I’d feel bad saying it but I’d have to choose Federal Taxation.  The professor was an awesome guy and made class as enjoyable as it could be, it was just not a fun class for me.  It was everything I hated about accounting in one class.

14. Bedtime?

I tend to be a night owl, but I try and get an absolute minimum of 6 hours of sleep every night, and usually get around 7.  That means a bedtime of 1-2 AM if I’m not busy, 2-3AM if I am busy.

15. Favorite spot on campus?

The Carroll volleyball court on a football Friday afternoon, just before raising the famous Go Irish banner.

16. Biggest fear?

Complacency. Also spiders.

17. Guilty pleasure?

Acapella music. Andy Bernard is a real inspiration.

18. Favorite book?

Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman.  The author travels around the country to the death sites of different celebrities in order to write an article about the legacies of musicians.  It’s a lot less morbid than it sounds, trust me. 

19. Favorite decorative possession?

I’m torn between two.  The first would be a big Steak n’ Shake sign.  Always essential to have a giant Mint Oreo milkshake on your wall.  The second would be a canvas print of the “silly” version of Carroll’s dorm picture from last year that I ordered.  Both make for very nice wall hangings.

20. If you could give one verb of advice for current students what would it be?

Relax.  Academics are important, but you’ll remember the Wednesday nights you went to Finny’s a lot more than you’ll remember the ones you spent finishing that paper.

21. What makes someone a Domer?

One of the more well-known quotes about Notre Dame from Fr. Edward Sorin was that he wanted Notre Dame to be “a powerful force for good.”  Domers are people who strive to live that mission and be a force for good in their daily lives.  This could be anything from working to further a cause they care deeply about to making someone’s day, but the idea of being a force for good is the key.  One of the best parts about going to school at Notre Dame is that everyone brings so much passion to the table, and is eager to make a positive impact.  It’s refreshing and invigorating to be around that kind of energy, and makes it a hell of a lot easier to be a force for good.

AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.