21 Questions with Stephen Fox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Stephen Fox is often found out-and-abount on campus except when he is busy studying abroad for the year. A Hesburgh-Yusko Scholarship recipient, Steve is currently studying at Oxford this year where the workload gets real. Prior to abanonding ND for Oxford, Steve served as one of the  2011-2012 VPs of Keenan Hall and spent the summer doing economic research with a professor on campus. His sparkling  presence on campus is greatly missed so HCND decided to reach out for an interview. 

Name: Stephen Matthew Fox
Hometown: Kansas City
Major: Economics
Major you wish you chose: Art History
Dorm Allegiance: Keenan

1. Why do you think you’re being interviewed?
I assume that this was the result of affirmative action to raise the voice of the rare
white, male from Notre Dame. If there are other white, college-aged males reading this,
I hope you know that you are not alone.

2. Who are you?
Steve Fox, I’m an Aquarius, and I can make a mean lasagna. Look up my E-harmony
account if you want to know more.

3. Favorite Domer dead, alive, or fictional?
My mom and dad

4. Do you find the moniker “Domer” kind of weird?
Nah, I’ve used the phrase long before I knew any dirty implications of the word “Dome.”
I actually find the word “moniker” weirder.

5. Post-grad plans?
I think my family and I will probably go out to eat after graduation; after that, I’m not
really sure. I had lots of pipe dreams/unrealistic hopes, but I’ve recently discovered that
people don’t get paid for most of my talents.

6. Highlight of your college career to date?
I was a part of the Keenan Revue, and my life has been a downhill slide ever since.

7. In 25 years, you will be:
Depressed and alone.

8. What did you think you were going to do freshman year and why?
I’m not completely sure what this question means. During freshman year, I thought
I was going to be a lawyer; primarily because lawyers get paid for publicly berating
others, and someone on an airplane once told me I’d be a good one. Prior to freshman
year, I thought that I would live in Alumni Hall and meet my future spouse at the
beginning of second semester as all good Notre Dame boys do during their Freshman
year.

9. If you could change one thing about ND what would it be? Don’t say parietals
because that’s boring.

I disagree with your characterization of parietals; I think they add a certain level of
sneakiness to the campus (among those who don’t cherish DuLac as much as I do)
that can actually be quite entertaining to watch at times. If I were to change something
about Notre Dame, I would stop selling sweatpants in the bookstore. Sweatpants are
really holding us back on US News Rankings. (Amen to that.)

10. Favorite class you’ve taken?
On campus at ND, it’s probably the Justice Seminar; abroad, Public Economics in Oxford.

11. Worst?
Personal fitness.

12. Bed time?
Usually 1:30-2, but I’ve just started rowing, which entails 6am practices and earlier
bedtimes.

13. Favorite spot on campus?
Grotto

14. Biggest fear?
Tie between Women and Commitment.

15. Guilty pleasure?
Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks Romantic Comedies.

16. What’s your drink?
Black coffee.

17. Who is your mortal enemy?
Dear whoever stole all of my books in the night before my oral final for the Justice
Seminar, I still have not forgotten what you have done, and I will find you. Have you
seen the movie Taken? It is a good movie. Also, that is what will happen to you when I
catch up to you. Hope to see you soon, Steve.

18. Favorite decorative possession?
Pictures of my family and friends; and a two-foot cutout of Arthur the Aardvark.

19. If you could give one verb of advice for current students what would it be?
Seek motivation and advice from sources willing to give interviewees more than one
verb.

20. What’s your cause?
Domestic and International Poverty and Criminal Justice Reform are two issues that I
am passionate about. Discussing these issues fully in the context of the rest of these
issues would not pay due respect to the victims and individuals caught in these tragic
situations.

21. What makes someone a Domer?
I don’t know any non-cheesy way to talk about being at Notre Dame, and I’m a tour
guide so it’s my job to be as cheesy and excited about Notre Dame as possible. Over
by bond quad, there is a plaque of a letter written by Fr. Sorin to his superiors that Notre
Dame “will be one of the most powerful means of doing good in this country.” I believe
Domers truly take this mission to heart and seek to build a community around that goal.
Say what you want about Notre Dame, but that’s why I came here and that’s why I’m
excited to claim it as my home.

AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.