What is Nutritional Yeast and Why You Should Be Eating It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

There is a new healthy food trend becoming more popular in the vegan world that can be a great cheese substitute. Nutritional yeast, nicknamed “Nooch”, is deactivated yeast in the form of yellow flakes or powder. It may sound weird to sprinkle yeast on your food, but the flavorful and vitamin-packed topping has tons of benefits.

At just 20 calories per tablespoon, the flakes have three grams of complete protein with all 18 essential amino acids, and they have Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, and Folic Acid. B Vitamins support the immune and nervous systems, so fight off a winter cold or give your metabolism a helping hand with a quick sprinkle of nutritional yeast.

Nooch has an umami taste that is cheesy and nutty, and it can help thicken sauces to make recipes like creamy, vegan mac ‘n’ cheese. As a collegiette, it can be difficult to think of ways to include new foods in your diet, so here are a few ideas to get you started. Plus, I’ve included a yummy recipe for cheesy, roasted cauliflower that you need to try!

• Easy Macaroni and Cheese

• Vegan Omelette

• Best Butter-Free Popcorn

• Dreamy Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce

Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower

Prep: 5 min prep | Cook: 35 min

Ingredients:

• 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • Sea salt and paprika, to taste.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425℉ and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

2. Toss cauliflower in a large mixing bowl and add the oil, yeast and seasonings, mixing until the florets are evenly coated.

3. Spread the cauliflower on the baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 35 minutes, stirring about halfway through.

4. Remove from heat when golden brown and easily pierced with a fork. Serve and enjoy!

Image: Bragg