Valentine’s Day Date Ideas: Chicago Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and you know what that means: scrambling for unique date ideas. Instead of going to a restuarant in Evanston with your signifigant other, take the train into the city for some ~romantic~ and cute date plans.

1. The Maggie Daley Skating Ribbon

Althought it can be cliché, ice skating is a winter must. Plus, it is the perfect location for a date. You can hold hands and skate while marvelling at the Chicago skyline. The skating ribbon just opened a few years ago. The infamous loop makes it a unique ice skating experience. Get ready to fall on your butts and laugh about it when you are old and grey. 

2. Garfield Park Conservatory

Given Chicago’s crazy weather patterns, it’s highly possible that the 14th will be unbearably cold. If that is the case, head on over to the Garfield Park Conservatory. This conservatory is described as “landscape art under glass.” It resembles a giant greenhosue with room after room of breathtaking plants, flowers, architecture, and art. Your friends will think you went on date-vacation!

3. Promontory Point

After a fancy dinner in the city, you may be looking for someplace to sit and relax. Well, promontory point is the perfect location you are looking for. This man-made peninsula rests on the shore of Lake Michigan. This could be one of the best views of Chicago in the city. Plus, promontory point hosts tons of weddings, meaning it basically screams romance.

4. Margie’s Candies

When you think of Valentine’s Day, you probably think of a box of chocolates (or really anything sweet for that matter). Well, then head on over to Margie’s Candies. This old-fashioned and old-school ice cream palor will be sure to put a giant sugary smile on your date’s face. What could be more cute than sharing an authentic and gignatic hot fuge sundae? The answer is nothing.