Top New York Fashion Week Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, fashionistas. A time when seemingly every celebrity and member of the fashion industry flocks to the city in expensive outfits to sit front row as fashion designers reveal their new collections. If you are like us, you lived vicariously through the attendees by stalking their Instagrams, Twitters, and Snapchat stories so much that it seems like you’re there. Well, here are the highlights of all the fashion madness that took place over the past two weeks. 

Who Attended:

Fashion week was filled with celebrities, but the most fashionable ones who attended were Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Taylor Swift. Beyoncé graced fashion week attendees with her presence on Thursday, February 12, to support Kanye West by sitting front row at his fashion show with Adidas Originals. She even posed for pictures with Rihanna. Taylor Swift also attended and was photographed next to her March issue Vogue co-cover star and bestie Karli Kloss. Taylor Swift made her first appearance at this year’s fashion week on Tuesday, February 17, to honor the late and inspirational designer Oscar de la Renta. This fashion week marks the first collection debuted by Creative Director Peter Copping. 

Standout Shows:

Of course, the most important part of New York Fashion Week is seeing and critiquing the collections that designers present. Some of our favorites were Oscar de la Renta and Alexander Wang’s collections. Oscar de la Renta’s collection featured his typical regal gowns and chic floral patterns with pops of color. Alexander Wang’s collection caught our attention for the styling alone. Each model sported grungy, dark hair scattered across their faces. Others weren’t so lucky. “I’m kind of over Kanye. I mean, I’m not a fan of his music, and the attitude and agenda is not my style,” Fern Mallis, the former Executive Director of the Council of Fashion Designers of America and the creator of New York Fashion Week reportedly said after seeing Kanye’s collaboration with Adidas Originals. 

Kendall Jenner:

One model who arguable had the best showing at Fashion Week was Kendall Jenner. The 19-year-old supermodel walked in her most shows for a single season. Kendall walked in a total of EIGHT shows over the course of two weeks. She modeled for Alexander Wang, Diane Von Furstenberg, Donna Karan, Vera Wang, Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, and Michael Kors. This amount of showings certainly proves that designers think Kendall has earned her way into the fashion industry and that she is here to stay. 

Best Moment:

And now, it’s time for our favorite moment of New York Fashion Week. The honor goes to none other than Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s daughter North West for throwing not one, but two tantrums while at Fashion Week. Yes, North West is a toddler and was still able to attend Fashion Week over us. Don’t you hate when things get lost in the mail? Apparently North was not enjoying the high-fashion looks because she cried during Kanye West and Alexander Wang’s shows. 

**All images from http://earhustle411.com and www.perezhilton.com 

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.