This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I went to a social justice retreat last weekend at the Stronghold Castle, mostly because I was interested in learning more about initiatives to bring change for marginalized groups, but also because I am admittedly bored and lonely on the weekends. I wanted to get out of my cave and socialize with others, perhaps I hesitantly hope to make a few friends. I expected to spend my time learning ways I could work to benefit marginalized groups. I did not expect the experience to change me emotionally as much as it did.

I met a variety of people, both faculty and students, from a variety of backgrounds – Latinx, women of color, black, queer, disabled and many other marginalized groups. I learned about the experience of others, such as the challenges associated with becoming naturalized as an American citizen, the fear of deportation, the lack of mental health resources and support for the disabled. We had to talk in groups about the way we were marginalized but also privileged. As someone who has met many international students and others of differing backgrounds, I have begun to think more my power as an American and how it’s benefited me at the expense of others.

There were some issues voiced about the retreat. For one, most of the people who came were people of color and women. Sensitive issues were talked about here, and there was controversy over allowing people of dominant groups to take the stand when marginalized groups often do not have a chance to be heard. The people who needed to hear people’s  messages – white, male, heterosexual, cisgendered individuals – were not present, at least not in as large of numbers. However, I believe that this was still a worthwhile experience in helping connect people who would have never talked otherwise. So far, I have been staying connected with the people I met there and I hope to see them in the future. Let us work together to not only make the campus more inclusive for people of all identities but also open our hearts and minds to one another as friends.

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

I am in my second year at Medill. I am interested in issues of race, gender, diversity, international politics, and arts/culture. When I am not busy in class or writing for Her Campus, I can be found quietly listening to music or strolling on campus.