Mike Giannetto ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Birthday: August 5th, 1990
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Major: Environmental Engineering
Relationship Status: Single

How did you get involved with Green Cup and SEED on campus? Also what leadership positions are you in for these organizations?
Well I’ve always been into the environment and sustainability, which kind of explains my major, and I knew before coming to Northwestern that I wanted to get involved with an environmental group.  So when I went to the activities fair at the beginning of my freshmen year, SEED just stood out to me.  I didn’t get too involved until my Sophomore year, but now I’m on the exec board as the Green Cup Co-Chair (SEED runs Green Cup), and I basically organize the whole competition and all the events associated with it.  But I’m also really involved in other aspects of SEED and help out in organizing other events too.

What else are you involved with on campus?
I’m the Environmental Chair for my fraternity, ZBT.  I basically try to make our house as sustainable as possible with our really small budget, which isn’t always easy.  This is also my third year dancing in DM.  I’d really like to be in the 120 hour club and dance all of my four years at Northwestern.  Almost there!  I spend a lot of time, especially during winter quarter, to raise money for that.

Any plans for what you’d ideally like to do with your life? Like 5 years from now, where do you see yourself?
I’m kind of a nerd, and I really like science and research.  I’m working in an engineering lab right now, and I really enjoy the work I’m doing there.  So I at the moment I want to go to grad school and maybe eventually become a professor.  But we’ll see.

What would your ideal girl be like?
I guess a smart, motivated girl who also likes to go out and have fun.

What’s one place in the world you’ve never been and want to go? Why?
I really do enjoy traveling, and there are definitely a lot of places I’d like to go. But I’d really like to visit more places within the US.  I’ve done quite a bit of traveling outside the US, but I haven’t done much traveling within the US.  I feel like I’m missing out on some of the great places here, like the Grand Canyon, California, etc.

Dance Marathon is coming up, and I know DGZBT normally dominates…you guys have any strategy or anything you’re doing to get pumped up for this weekend?
We definitely put a strong effort into raising money throughout all of winter quarter.  Every weekend we have a lot of members, even those who aren’t dancing, go canning for several hours at a time.  We also have a very strong letter-writing campaign.  Having danced before, the motivation for me is winning at the end of DM – it’s just such a great feeling to see all our hard work pay off.  And also the fact that we’re helping a lot of people.  I think that’s what gets us all pumped up for it.

Why does HC love Mike Giannetto?
Well, not only is he environmentally friendly and a true activist on campus, but he’s one of the friendliest and warmest guys you will ever meet. Don’t think of your typical frat star with this one, ladies. Mike is almost always smiling and willing to lend a hand with anything going on around campus. Seriously, snatch up this single guy before somebody else does. 

Monica is a sophomore at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She spent her early years growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but spent the last half of her life in Seoul, South Korea where she developed a city girl love for good food finds and fashion. Journalism has been a major part of her life, but she can also be found relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones. Though she has a tough exterior, Monica is actually a romantic who loves the power of words, the importance of strength in any endeavor, and who always wears her heart on her sleeve.