For my last post before summer begins, of course I am going to leave you with a dessert. Whether you make it to get through finals or want to use them to celebrate the end of the year, these brownies won’t disappoint.
With a fine caramel topping, they are both sweet and salty – a combination every sweet tooth loves. Not to mention the fact that the recipe was designed to go easy on the calories – now you can eat even more, with justification. Right?
Ingredients (Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine)
¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
¾ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
½ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
½ tsp Baking Powder
6 Tbsp Butter, Melted
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ Cup Butter
¼ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
3 ½ Tbsp Evaporated Fat-Free Milk, Divided
¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
½ Cup Powdered Sugar
1 ounce Bittersweet Chocolate, Coarsely Chopped
1/8 tsp Coarse Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour and next four ingredients (through baking powder) in a large bowl, mixing well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine butter, eggs and 1 tsp vanilla. Add butter mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
4. Scrape batter into an 8-inch square metal baking pan, lightly coated with cooking spray or greased so the brownies don’t stick.
5. Bake for 19 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool in pan.
6. For the caramel topping: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and 1 ½ Tbsp milk, cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and powdered sugar. Stir with a whisk until smooth, and spread evenly over the brownies. Let set, about 20 minutes.
7. Combine 2 Tbsp milk and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high heat for 45 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth, and drizzle over caramel in lines (or you can get creative). Sprinkle with sea salt, and let brownies set.