Meet Titanic star Leah Platt!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Hometown: Kensington, Maryland

Year: Sophomore

Major: Theatre and Psychology with a Certificate in Musical Theatre

Theater is huge at Northwestern and many plays go up every year, but the biggest is The Dolphin Show. This year the musical is Titanic, and Leah Platt is starring as Kate McGowan!

How did you get involved in Titanic?

I got involved in Titanic last Spring when I interviewed to be part of The Dolphin Show business team and was chosen as the Co-Director of Advertising with Morgan Hecht. I worked on Titanic all summer on the business team, then auditioned and was cast this fall as Kate McGowan, an Irish third-class passenger, so I’m working on the show now from two very different perspectives!What is your favorite part about your role?

My favorite part about my role is how much the audience roots for her. She symbolizes all the idealistic dreams the third class held dearly on the Titanic, in stark contrast with the grandeur and high society of the first class on board. Plus, it’s really fascinating to play a character based on someone who actually was on the Titanic and lived this heart-breaking story.What previous experience do you have in theater?

I did theatre throughout middle and high school because I loved to sing and dance, so I took classes all the time and kept myself busy with a new show every few months. On campus I was in last year’s Dolphin Show, “Shrek”, as one of the Three Blind Mice, “Fight or Flight,” an original song cycle by Casey Reed, and I’m a member of Steam Heat Musical Theatre Dance Company.Outside of theater, what do you like to do?

As crazy as it sounds, I love to try out different kinds of exercise classes! My favorites right now are SoulCyle spin classes, Hot Yoga, and Pure Barre. Even if I hate myself during the class, I always feel great and ready for more right after, a bit like a junkie!Who is your theater crush?

I have loved the actor Andy Mientus ever since I saw him in the tour of Spring Awakening in 2009. The next year, I recognized him on the street and followed him for about 2 minutes until I found the courage to talk to him. I actually cried afterward cause I was so excited and overwhelmed that I had met him. Since then he’s been in Les Mis on Broadway and on the TV show Smash, so I’d like to think I was one of his first fans.

SHOW DATES & TIMES:Friday, January 23, 2014 at 7:30 PMSaturday, January 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM *NUDM NIGHT & ALUMNITE*Sunday, January 25, 2014 at 2 PMFriday, January 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM *GREEK NIGHT*Saturday, January 31, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Purchase tickets at www.NUDolphinShow.org/Tickets