Meet Theatre Maven, Katy Murphy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Katy Murphy

Year: Freshman

Homewown: Darien, CT

You’ve probably seen this fly feshman romping around campus in her signature red Patagonia vest (yes, she does mix it with purple…and surprisingly pulls it off). Obviously, this is not only someone you’ll want to meet, but someone you’ll want to know.

So Katy, what student groups are you a part of on campus?

I’ve been involved in the student theatre community in various ways so far: in the fall I was in Wave’s production of Clothes for a Summer Hotel, by Tennessee Williams. I was the assistant director of Alumni relations for the Dolphin Show, which I unfortunately had to miss because I was doing props crew for Big Love. Later this quarter I’m helping with Publicity for Vertigo’s 7th Annual Ten-Minute Playwriting Festival. Finally, in the spring I’ll be playing Praline in Strangers of Intimacy by Marion Hill.

Apart from theatre, I’m involved with Book Buddies, which is a volunteer program that meets once a week to read with little kids at the Reba Learning Center in Evanston. More recently I’ve become a part of the CATalyst Pre-Orientation Counselor Team and Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.

Did you always know you wanted to pursue theater?

Absolutely not. For a solid amount of my childhood I wanted to be a dog breeder, mainly because I loved the idea of being surrounded by puppies and had a pretty innocent conception of what it was that an animal breeder actually did. I went through phases of wanting to be a lawyer, a doctor, a politician, a mom… I guess the appeal of theatre is that I would have the chance to live all of those lives. It is also one of the only platforms through which you have the opportunity to reach out and have an intimate experience with someone you may never actually meet in person.

Was there a specific moment that solidified your aspirations of being involved in fine arts?

I can’t point to a specific moment in time. As people, we are constantly seeking this feeling of running, completely unencumbered, with the wind in our faces. For me, theatre was the place where I got that feeling. I think any theatre artist will agree with me on this: if we could see ourselves doing anything else, we would. I think the realization that I could make a complete fool of myself onstage, that I could be anyone I wanted and the audience would play along really resonated with me. I was (and still am) a pretty awkward kid, but onstage, I could be whoever I wanted.

What is your favorite pre-performance meal?

Typically show week I’m just focused on making sure I eat something. Post-performance is a whole other story though: I’m a big fan of going somewhere really nice, typically with my parents, and getting sushi, or steak, and some awesome instagrammable desert. 

Do you have any rituals that you must do before stepping on stage?

It’s a little different for every show. The last thing you should do before going onstage is warm up physically, and vocally. Personally, I enjoy listening to a song before going onstage, especially if I have one that I feel really resonates with my character.

You are working backstage in the theater production “Big Love.” How is life behind the curtain?

It’s been an amazing learning experience. Getting to witness the work the Big Love team has put into this show is better than anything I could possibly learn in a classroom. It’s always awesome to feel like a crucial and appreciated part in a theatrical process, no matter what capacity you’re working in. 

If your current life was a play, what would be its title?

“We’re All Very Concerned About Kathryn.” That’s a quote from a parent-teacher conference my parents attended in 1st grade. I was a late-bloomer.

Any final thoughts or messages to Her Campus readers? 

Don’t waste your time doing things that aren’t going to make you blissfully happy in the long run.

Michelle is freshman in the Medill School of Journalism, Media, and IMC at Northwestern University. Michelle is originally from Menlo Park, CA--about forty minutes away from San Francisco and forty seconds away from Facebook HQ. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she can be found dancing. In fact, she's always dancing.