Meet Relay for Life’s Vice President of Engagement Amanda Mordacq

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Amanda Mordacq

Age: 21

Major: Economics, Statistics

Hometown: Wheaton, Illinois

1. What is your role for NU’s Relay for Life? 

Vice President of Engagement. I am responsible for engaging the Northwestern and Evanston community in our fight against cancer, as well as working with cancer survivors and their caregivers.

2. How did you become involved?

I participated in Relay For Life for three years in high school, so when I got to Northwestern I knew this was something I wanted to be involved with. Freshman year, I joined the Corporate Relations committee and loved my experience working with such a passionate, dedicated group of people. After that, I decided to apply to become a director. Then, the following year, a vice president so that I could continue my involvement with these incredible people and help our organization grow on this campus. 

3. What is the preparation for the event like? When do you start planning?

The preparation for our event takes the entire year. After our event each Spring, we immediately accept applications for our executive board for the following year. Then, we jump right in and spend the summer and fall planning! Winter and Spring months are our busiest times as our event approaches. We work to make sure everything for the day of Relay is prepared, that we have done everything possible to fundraise and raise awareness for the American Cancer Society and that our Northwestern and Evanston communities are engaged in our cause. 

4. Will you be participating in the event this year or overseeing it? 

I will be both participating in Relay and helping to oversee it! As the Vice President of Engagement, I worked all year with my directors to engage the Northwestern community in our event. During Relay, we will make sure our participants are checked in and have everything they need to enjoy the event. Then, we will also be able to walk the track and participate in the festivities and ceremonies that we worked so hard to plan!

5. How many people will be involved with Relay this year?

More than 560 students and community members registered leading up to our Relay For Life event this year!

6. What particularly are you looking forward to during the event?

My favorite part of the event is the Luminaria ceremony, during which we dedicate and illuminate luminaria bags to remember loved ones lost to cancer and family and friends who have battled the disease. This moving ceremony reminds us all why we Relay. Also, watching our Northwestern community come together to support each other during this ceremony is my favorite part of the event!

7. Have you participated in other Relay for Life events? If so, describe the most interesting experience.

This year will be my sixth Relay For Life event! The most interesting and exciting experience each year is watching all of our hard work come together on the day of Relay. The day of event set-up is always hectic and overwhelming, but it’s amazing to watch everyone come up with innovative solutions in our last-minute scrambles, and our event always turns out great!

8. Anything else you want to add? 

Relay For Life has been the best experience working with some of the most passionate, dedicated people I know at Northwestern. Each year we raise about $100,000 dollars for the American Cancer Society and bring hundreds of students and community members together in our fight against cancer, and our success wouldn’t be possible without the help of our amazing directors and committee members!

Click here to learn more about the event.

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.