Meet Phi Psi Philanthropy Chair Colin Campbell!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

This Wednesday Phi Kappa Psi is pairing up with Kappa Alpha Theta in a brand new philanthropy event: Cinnabun City. The Phi Psi/Theta team is raising money for the Starlight Children’s Foundation—this year’s Dance Marathon beneficiary. We talked to Phi Psi’s philanthropy chair, Colin Campbell, about the event and enjoying the sweet things in life (literally).

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Year: Sophomore

Majors: Economics, Learning and Organizational Change, Creative Writing minor

What do you do as philanthropy chair?

My main job as philanthropy chair for Phi Kappa Psi is to throw three quarterly philanthropy fundraisers. We throw an event with pumpkins in the fall, a water slide and mini golf event in the spring, and of course Cinnabun City this winter. Although the planning starts a few weeks before any event by picking a charity to support, most of the work to prepare for and put on events occurs the week before the event happens. Other than that, I work to schedule service trips and other non-fundraising philanthropic events, from volunteering at a homeless shelter to coordinating a blood drive.

Cinnabun City is such a unique idea! Tell us more about it.

When all the planners got together to decide what kind of food to serve, we wanted to come up with something that would be a little bit different than the other food philanthropies. Nothing tastes better in the winter than cozy, warm, dessert foods, so we settled on cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. 

Why should people come?

Because cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate are delicious! I can’t think of a better way to warm up during the winter than with a warm cinnamon roll and hot chocolate to wash it down. And beyond that, it’s midterm season; comfort food’s in high demand and makes for a great study break. Plus I’ll spray whipped cream in your mouth for no extra cost.

What is your favorite part of the event?

My favorite part’s definitely the eating of the cinnamon roll. It’s a special experience. Although I love to cook and I’m excited to learn the ropes of pastry prep, I’m more excited to actually eat the frosting than spread it on the buns beforehand. Nothing beats the sweet, bitter, and woody taste of cinnamon with warm dough and icing.

Everybody loves a good dessert. What’s one sweet thing you can’t resist? 

I’ve always been a sucker for key lime pie. When I was six years old, I went to a Florida Keys restaurant that the Food Network called the best key lime pie in the world. At first bite I loved the uniquely sharp taste of their key lime flavor. I got to go back a couple of times, but unfortunately the restaurant closed down when the husband and wife who owned it decided to retire. Ever since then I’ve been searching for a better tasting key lime pie. Who knows, it may be just under my nose here in Chicago!

Haley Smith

Northwestern

Haley is currently a Journalism major at Northwestern University, Sociology minor. She is also pursuing a certificate in Integrated Marketing Communications. She has written for several campus publications and is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. She has a few unhealthy habits that include obsessing over British boys with good hair, wanting to watch way too many eighties movies and lurking on various forms of social media.