Meet Our NEW Campus Correspondents!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Alani Vargas

Age: 21

School: Medill

Majors: Journalism and History

Hometown: Chicago, IL

1. What are you most excited about in your new position?

I love the sense of belonging and accomplishment I’ve gained from writing for my chapter at Northwestern. It’s a publication that I’ve loved for so long that it’s such an honor to be the new Campus Correspondent and essentially Editor-in-Chief (with my lovely co-CC, Elana :D ). I’m just super stoked to be bonding with the staff, cultivating strong female voices and also leading this publication to the best it can be! Up until this point, each and every one of the past CCs have been successful in that position and we’ve come so far since I started; I’m just excited to see where we can take this publication!

2. Why do you think Her Campus is so special?

Her Campus was the first real thing I committed to at Northwestern. When looking at the publication fair, the thing that made HC stand out to me was the fact that it was women-centered; women ran the publication, they lead it, they edited it and they wrote it. That was something that no other publication on Northwestern’s campus can boast. And female empowerment is so, so important to me and it’s something I want to continually support. Her Campus is so special in this way; we can pitch our own ideas, from our own perspectives, without too much interference from people who may not see the importance of our issues. I was able to write a long op-ed on what feminism meant to me my freshman year and the next year I was writing a semi-satirical piece on liking the new Justin Bieber. I really don’t know of any other publication where my interests can be so vast but I’m encouraged to write about them as well.

3. Outside of Her Campus, what is your favorite thing to do on campus?

I’m in a lot of other clubs and another publication (The Daily Northwestern). I think out of those things I really enjoy my group of Latinx journalists in the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. Just like with Her Campus, NAHJ is a place centered around a specific part of my identity. We all experience college in different ways based on our identities, so it’s nice to have groups that I feel I am represented in and heard; these are places that I can converse with like-minded individuals.

4. How did you start writing?

I’ve been writing stories and my ideas down since I was in the third grade. Writing has always just come natural for me, grammar has always been easy for me and my teachers have always liked my style (in writing, that is). It wasn’t until seventh grade that I realized that I liked journalism. I was a very nosy kid who liked to retell stories and write; it all just naturally came together. I’m lucky in that respect, because having figured that out so early, I’ve been able to really work on it and make it into a passion, which is important in journalism because if you don’t have a love for it, you won’t get anywhere.

5. What is your favorite topic to write about?

I really like writing about lifestyle topics, such as love, mental health and feminism. I also am a pop culture and entertainment junky, so I love when I can rant/rave about a movie or show or about the latest celebrity news. I love writing a good researched piece with my sense of style and voice in it as well.

6. You were just abroad! What was your favorite place to visit?

Yes I was!! I absolutely fell in love with Paris. It might be corny, but I’ve been obsessed with “The City of Love” since I was very little (much like Grace in “Monte Carlo”). But, fortunately for me, it did actually turn out to be everything I had dreamed of and more. Like most European cities, there’s a history to it that can be felt, but also there’s a hint of magic or mysticism felt throughout. But with Paris, it was insanely prevalent. And it’s crazy beautiful, the Eiffel Tower is one of the most beautiful structures I’ve ever seen and the food and wine were insane. There was also so much to do; the culture is rich and the language is also musical. Can you tell I’m obsessed?

7 Who is your favorite celeb right now?

Okay, well as I confessed earlier, I am a celeb connoisseur, so this is really tough and honestly the answer changes every month (probs). Since I’m a huge Star Wars nerd, “Rogue One” hit me hard and I fell in love with Jyn Erso, aka Felicity Jones. So I’ve been watching a lot of her interviews and excitedly watched her SNL episode with a big glass of wine. But just before her I was (and still am) in love with Anna Kendrick. I had seen The Last Five Years in London and then became fascinated with the movie, starring Kendrick, and her version of all the songs. Plus, I can listen to her sing and watch her in anything any day of the week. I even asked for her book for Christmas (still waiting on that one, thanks Mom ;) ).

8. What is on your bucket list to finish before you leave Northwestern?

As a junior, I’ve done a lot. I think I kind of want to just keep growing as a writer and as a person. As in actual, physical things I want to do before I graduate, I want to paint a rock on the Lakefill (although that is definitely more of a senior thing and will happen) and also explore some less-seen places on campus (like the steam tunnels/dark recesses of the library). Oh, and get my picture taken by Justin Barbin. That hasn’t happened for me yet (I hear it’s magical?).

Picture of me in the London Underground after a long day and four free Lola’s Cupcakes

Elana Golub

Age: 20

School: Medill

Majors: Journalism and Economics

Hometown: Newton, MA

I’m so lucky to lead such a dynamic team of talented, outspoken women! With my **amazing** co-CC Alani by my side, I think we are really capable of maintaining the strong passion of our writers and growing the influence of our publication on campus. I’m excited to help produce and circulate some killer content and make this Her Campus Northwestern’s best year yet!

Like Alani, Her Campus was the first thing I was a part of at Northwestern. I thought being part of a national publication was so unique, especially given that it was an all-women’s digital magazine. Being able to write about what I want has allowed me to realize exactly what I want to do in life. Her Campus brings like-minded women from all corners of Northwestern together to discuss and write about topics that are applicable to all of us, creating such an important community for women to empower one another.

Dance Marathon! I’m the co-captain of my sorority’s team this year, and the cause is absolutely incredible. I love being involved in NUDM because it has such a strong presence on campus. Where most of the time students aren’t willing to give up any of their minimal free time here, more than 1,000 are willing to sacrifice the weekend before reading week to support children with down syndrome. It’s a great part of the Northwestern culture and adds a lot to the community.

4. How did you start writing?

I’ve been writing since I was 14, when I was on the staff for my high school newspaper. Being the catalyst of information, being responsible for bringing information to the attention of a larger audience, has been the driving force behind all my passion. My mother and grandmother were both huge writers, so they’ve always been incredibly supportive of my passion for journalism. As Alani mentioned, this isn’t an easy field to be in, so I’m lucky to have realized how much I love journalism so early on. It’s a lot of responsibility, but always a huge reward to see your byline.

5. What is one thing (or more) that you’d like the writers of HC Northwestern to know about yourself?

Besides the fact that I’m SO excited to work with all of them, I want them to know that I really want to help them develop strong, individual voices as writers, because that’s something that writing for Her Campus has taught me.

6. You were ALSO abroad! What was your favorite experience?

Oktoberfest for sure (I know, not a very original answer, but it was UNREAL). That weekend in Germany was easily the best weekend of my abroad experience. Imagine seeing people from all different stages of your life in one tent together, wearing costumes and dancing on tables with giant pretzels. I’m pretty sure I peaked.

7. If you could choose any actress to play you in in your biopic, who would it be and why?

I want to say Mila Kunis because she’s cute and charismatic but also a chiller and I went through a serious That 70’s Show phase where I just wanted to marry Ashton Kutcher (and tbh still kinda do), but it’s totally unrealistic because she looks nothing like me. I think I’d also have to throw Lorde in the running. She’s not technically an actress but people tell me we look a lot alike and she seems kinda crazy in a good way so I think she would do well playing me.

8. Where’s your favorite spot at Northwestern and why?

I cannot stress enough how much I love periodicals (and how much I truly missed it abroad). Somehow the harsh lighting and the congregation of a bunch of really stressed, silent people makes me get my work done well and in record time. I pretty much camp out there during midterms and finals every quarter. You can find me in a cubicle with about three packs of trident bubblegum by my side at all times.

Picture of Elana at Oktoberfest!

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!