Meet NUDM’s Dancer Relations Co-Chair Laynie Held

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With Norwestern Universities Dance Marathon about to hit full swing next quarter, Her Campus sat down with the two Dancer Relations Chairs to talk about their experience with DM.

Now that DM is coming into full swing, why did you run to be a Co-DR chair?

I applied to be Dancer Relations co-chair for two main reasons: one because I wanted to get to work really closely with both Starlight and all of the dancers, especially in the hero program, and two because DR is easily the most energetic and fun committee! I knew that being the DR co-chair would allow me to interact with all of the parties that go into making Dance Marathon what it is on our campus.

What is your best memory of DM?

My favorite memory of NUDM comes from last year. I was one of the co-chairs of the marketing committee so I got really close with our beneficiary, Team Joseph and had the awesome opportunity to spend time and get to know Joseph pretty well. During the actual 30 hours, he told us that he wanted to dance on stage so a few of us got on stage with him, in front of 1,000+ dancers and got to watch him teach college students a dance to “Bye Bye Bye.” Seeing the look on his face as he watched everyone imitate his moves was something that I will never forget. Oh and the final totals, I always cry like a baby. OH yeah DUH AND BEING CO-CHAIRS WITH JUSTIN (obviously)

What has been the toughest moment during DM?

Like most people, I always struggle right around block 6 (around hour 17). I think freshman year that was the toughest for me; I had never even pulled an all-nighter before and I am extremely addicted to caffeine. My feet hurt and I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. There was more than one point where I didn’t know if if I would make it all 30 hours. Luckily, I had a great group of friends around me who, with their high energy, helped me through my low point. Later on, when they hit their inevitable lows, I was able to help them through it. Needless to say, it was worth it.

What is your favorite food served during the event?

Every year, I’m all about the popsicles. They sometimes even serve them twice for 30 hours. Most refreshing (and fun!) treat, hands down. 

If you could pick one song that exemplifies DM what would it be and why?

Oh, this one is hard. There are so many songs I associate with NUDM, especially ones that are played during the final total reveals but I think one song that really exemplifies DM is Sweet Disposition by the Temper Trap– which actually was the DM song my freshman year. It’s a pretty groovy song and the chorus sings “A moment, a love, A dream aloud, A kiss, a cry.”  Dance Marathon can be such a roller-coaster and I think this shows all the emotions you go through.  Looking back at my DM experience, I wouldn’t change a moment in that tent for the world.