Meet Northwestern Art Review’s Christie Wood!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Christie Wood

Year: SeniorMajor: Environmental SciencesHometown: Palo Alto, CA

Can you explain to me what NAR is?

Northwestern Art Review (NAR) is a student group on campus, founded in 2007, working to encourage students to share their appreciation for and thoughts about art and art history. NAR publishes a journal twice a year featuring art history papers from undergraduate students across the country, and plans art-related programs on Northwestern’s campus for undergraduates looking to learn about and discuss the art world. Our blogging and web staff also work to create a stream of original and shared art-related content on our website (nuartreview.com) and social media accounts.

How did you get involved with NAR?

I first learned about NAR when I visited Northwestern as a prospie when I was in high school; two of my friends whom I was visiting were on NAR at the time. I joined my freshman year as a blogger and member of the editorial staff. I then became Web Director, and now I’m Director of Publicity and work on PR for NAR.

What do you like most about it?

My favorite part about NAR is that the organization gives our staff and readers an opportunity to get involved with the art world even if their academic path has led them elsewhere. Many students used to be more involved with art when they were younger, but have become so busy with school at NU that they haven’t been able to create or learn about art as much. NAR provides a forum for those students to stay connected with the art world, even if their academic focus lies elsewhere.

Have you always been interested in art? What’s your favorite kind of art?

I have always been interested in art. My grandmother is a professional artist, and I began drawing and painting when I was super young. Art remained important to me as I grew up, and some of my drawings in paintings have been in local shows at home. However, these days I mostly use those talents to make elaborate drawings in Snapchat, which is pretty entertaining for everyone.

My favorite kinds of art would probably be drawing and painting, because I think it’s really cool to see the different ways artists can depict the world in 2D. I also think mixed-media art and installation art are really fun.

Who do you think is more of an “artist”, Kanye or Matthew McConaughey. Explain.

Big McConaughey fan, but I have to go with Kanye (and I think Kanye himself would agree). The music Ye creates is so undeniably good that people are willing to look past his questionable antics and enjoy his songs. Kanye also has really nailed the whole “brooding artist” persona.

What’s one fun fact people might not know about you?

I really love black beans. I could eat them with every meal.

Emma Tyler

Northwestern