Meet Newly Elected ASG President: Noah Star!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Noah StarYear:JuniorMajor: Political Science & History Hometown: Boston, MA 

We chatted with ASG’s newly elected president Noah Star to learn some more about him and his campaign process! 

What are a few things the average NU student doesn’t know about their incoming president?

1. I used to play bass guitar in a band in high school… Everyone should check The Symptoms out on Facebook now; they’re much better without me.
  2. My favorite President is either Teddy Roosevelt or JFK.
  3. My best friend is Nathan of Nathan’s Hot Dogs.
  4. I want to hike the Appalachian Trial next summer or at least a part of it.

What was the campaign process like?The campaign process was crazy but Christina and I tried to keep things relaxed. We made sure we knew what we were doing the next day every night and sometimes that would go super late. But we had a lot of fun with our team while we did work, which made things go by quickly.

What’s been your favorite NU moment so far (other than winning the ASG election!)College Gameday and this year’s upset of Wisconsin are up there. Also, I really enjoyed seeing Bill McKibben speak (this year’s SEED Winter Speaker). He’s incredibly smart and is doing big things to combat climate change, plus he is a Lexington High School alum and former debater. I also got to meet him because I went crazy on social media.

How do you remain so “chill” with all the pressure of ASG involvement?I just am myself and see where it takes me. Growing up I had a big temper so I work hard to not get angry about things. Things can get stressful sure but I think understanding that the calmer you are the better you’ll be as a leader keeps me grounded. I limit external stressors too. I make sure to pick classes that keep me interested so that my homework is something I try to enjoy instead of a different burden. Also listening to music is always a good way to stay in the zone.

What advice to you have to underclassmen who are looking to get more involved with ASG?Hit me up. I think anyone who wants to get involved with ASG should have the opportunity to do so in some capacity. Just be yourself and don’t try and come across as super professional or anything like that.

Alyssa Raiola

Northwestern